After coaching the majority of the 2013 season from the press box due to his epilepsy, Minnesota head coach Jerry Kill said Tuesday that he will return to the sideline in the fall.
A seizure forced Kill to miss the Oct. 5 game against Michigan. He then took a two-week leave of absence from the team before coaching the Gophers from the press box in the season’s final seven games.
“I’ll be on the sideline (this fall),” Kill said, per the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. “That’s who I am, and I think that’s best for our team. However, if we need to adjust something, (the coaches have) all been together a long time.
Kill, who was diagnosed with epilepsy in 2005, said he has been seizure-free since the October incident.
“I’m feeling pretty good. I’ve lost a few pounds. I’ve been walking. (Associate athletic director Dan) O’Brien and a lot of people are trying to keep me in line. But the No. 1 person is me,” Kill said.
Kill announced last week that he would be donating $100,000 to a new fund he has started to help children with epilepsy. The fund will help students with “seizure-smart” initiatives so students, teachers and nurses know how to respond when someone has a seizure. The fund will also assist Camp Oz, a camp for epilepsy patients in Wisconsin.
- - - - - - -