LONDON -- Unified middleweight world champion Gennady Golovkin will bypass a quick June return in his home country of Kazakhstan and instead look forward to trying to finalize a blockbuster fight in September against the winner of next week's Canelo Alvarez-Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. fight, K2 Promotions managing director Tom Loeffler told ESPN on Wednesday. Golovkin, who eked out a decision win in a hard fight with Daniel Jacobs on March 18, had been close to a deal to fight middleweight titleholder Billy Joe Saunders on June 10 at a 40,000-seat soccer stadium in Kazakhstan as part of the country's Expo 2017, one of Golovkin's sponsors. According to Loeffler, the combination of Golovkin getting
Tony Ferguson’s manager says that Nate Diaz should fight Ferguson if he wants to get a third fight with McGregor. While Conor McGregor continues to hunt down a potential fight with Floyd Mayweather, Nate Diaz appears to be stuck in a holding pattern when it comes to his next fight. After splitting a pair of fights with McGregor, Diaz has been holding out for an opportunity to complete the trilogy.
Sometime in the next few days, certainly before the bell rings for the start of the IBF-WBA heavyweight title match between unbeaten champion Anthony Joshua and former champ Wladimir Klitschko in front of 90,000 fans on Saturday at Wembley Stadium in London, someone will say the bout is the one to save boxing. The significance of the bout is that, for once, some people are paying attention. The bout is one of the most significant sporting events of the year in the United Kingdom.