Boston Red Sox legend David Ortiz underwent a third surgery stemming from the gunshot wound he suffered in an attack in his native Dominican Republic.
In a statement released through the Red Sox, Tiffany Ortiz, David’s wife, said her husband was dealing with “complications resulting from his gunshot wound.”
“Earlier this week, David underwent a third surgery for complications resulting from his gunshot wound. The operation was performed by Dr. David King at Massachusetts General Hospital. David is recovering well and is in good spirits,” her statement said.
“We continue to be incredibly appreciative of the kindness and compassion shown to David and to our entire family during this difficult time.”
Ortiz, 43, is still recovering at a Boston hospital after being shot on June 9 in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. In the immediate aftermath of the shooting, Ortiz underwent emergency surgery and had to have his gallbladder and part of his intestine removed.
The next day, he was airlifted to Boston and underwent a second surgery. Ortiz’s condition was upgraded to good on June 18, but he has remained hospitalized in the weeks since.
According to Dominican authorities, the shooting was a case of mistaken identity and Ortiz’s friend was the intended target of the attack. Nearly a dozen individuals have been arrested for orchestrating the attack, including the alleged mastermind on June 28.
Ortiz played 20 MLB seasons before retiring after the 2016 season. A 10-time All-Star, Ortiz spent 14 years with the Red Sox and, in 2004, helped the club win their first World Series since 1918. The Red Sox won two more titles (2007 and 2013) during Ortiz’s career. He was named World Series MVP for his performance against the St. Louis Cardinals in 2013. Ortiz finished his career with 541 home runs.
More from Yahoo Sports: