David Ortiz’s condition continues to improve as he recovers from gunshot wounds stemming from an attempt on his life in his native Dominican Republic earlier this month.
In a statement released by the Boston Red Sox, Tiffany Ortiz, David’s wife, said her husband’s condition was upgraded to “good” by his doctors at Massachusetts General Hospital on Tuesday morning. Ortiz remains in the Intensive Care Unit where he “continues to make progress with his recovery,” Tiffany said.
“We remain grateful to everyone who has helped David through this ordeal, both in the Dominican Republic and here in Boston,” Tiffany said. “David’s journey to good health has been bolstered by the many expressions of love that have come to us from across the globe. Your support has lifted his spirits tremendously during this challenging time.”
Ortiz, who played 14 seasons with the Red Sox, was shot on June 9 at a bar in Santo Domingo, his hometown. He underwent emergency surgery in the Dominican Republic before being airlifted to Boston for further medical care.
On Monday, Dominican prosecutors identified the man — a fugitive named Alberto Miguel Rodriguez Mota — they say paid a group of hitmen to kill Ortiz, one of the country’s most revered athletes. Ten others have already been arrested in the case, including the alleged gunman.
A motive for the attack has not been disclosed. A news conference from the attorney general’s office of the Dominican Republic is scheduled for Wednesday. New details are expected to be revealed at that time.
Ortiz played 20 MLB seasons before retiring after the 2016 season. A 10-time All-Star, Ortiz spent 14 years with the Red Sox and, in 2004, helped the club win their first World Series since 1918.
The Red Sox won two more titles (2007 and 2013) during Ortiz’s career. He was named World Series MVP for his performance against the St. Louis Cardinals in 2013.
More from Yahoo Sports: