- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Manchester City’s bid to be remembered as the greatest Premier League team ever, and perhaps the best in the history of English football, took one massive step into the record books on Wednesday against Brighton.
The Citizens broke Premier League marks for points (97), wins (31), and goals (105) in a 3-1 victory over the Seagulls.
Danilo tied 2009-10 Chelsea’s goal mark in the 16th minute. Bernardo Silva beat it in the 34th.
And Fernandinho piled on in the second half.
The Citizens had to wait for their records. They stumbled to a 0-0 draw with Huddersfield over the weekend, the first time all season they had been held scoreless at home.
But there was no holding them down any longer on Wednesday. And the century mark for points is still within reach, achievable with a win at Southampton on Sunday, the Premier League season’s final day.
– – – – – – –
More soccer from Yahoo Sports:
• McIntyre: How Mohamed Salah rose to superstardom
• Premier League DARTS: End-of-season award picks, other superlatives
• Barcelona rides luck to fiery, controversial Clasico draw
• An emotional Arsenal sendoff for Arsene Wenger at Emirates
• No USMNT, Mexico at 2019 Copa America; Qatar instead