Allegations: Jeffrey Godfrey
Miami booster Nevin Shapiro alleges he provided Jeffrey Godfrey with extra benefits and also had impermissible contact with the quarterback while the Hurricanes were recruiting him. Among Shapiro’s allegations:
• Shapiro gave Godfrey a pair of Nike Air Jordan tennis shoes in 2009, during a visit in which current Miami staffer Sean Allen brought the Hurricanes recruiting target to Shapiro’s $6 million Miami Beach mansion.
• The booster alleges he also gave Allen $200 to take Godfrey to dinner at Japanese steakhouse Benihana.
• Shapiro also alleges he knowingly had impermissible contact with Godfrey a second time, when Allen brought the player to his luxury suite for a Hurricanes game during the 2009 season. Miami assistant basketball coach Jake Morton and Allen were both present in the booster’s luxury box when Shapiro met Godfrey.
• Yahoo! Sports has acquired a photo of Godfrey with Shapiro in the booster’s luxury box during the Hurricanes’ 2009 season.
• Yahoo! Sports also acquired a second photo of Shapiro, Allen and Morton in the booster’s box. Along the left margin of the photo, Godfrey can be seen walking into the background of the picture just as the snapshot was taken.
In Shapiro’s words
• “Jeffrey Godfrey was one of Sean Allen’s younger protégés, per se. He came to my house one night [in 2009] with Sean Allen. I gave Sean 200 bucks to take him to Benihana to eat and also gave him a pair of Air Jordans, because I had like 100 pairs in my house.”
• “Later on, [Godfrey] came to my [Dolphin Stadium] suite also, the same time [as] Teddy Bridgewater, who was another prospect at the time. I knew Miami wasn’t really recruiting Godfrey very hard, because they wanted him to play a different position and they really had their eyes set on Teddy Bridgewater. But in light of that, he was in the suite and took some pictures with a number of people. Not because anyone knew who he was. But he shouldn’t have been in my suite.”
A call seeking comment from Godfrey through the University of Central Florida was not returned.