Allegations: Javon Nanton
Miami booster Nevin Shapiro alleges he provided multiple extra benefits to Javon Nanton during the player’s career with the Hurricanes. Among the benefits he claimed to have provided:
• Drinks and VIP access in nightclubs on multiple occasions.
• Food, drinks and entertainment at Shapiro’s $2.7 million Miami Beach home on multiple occasions.
• Entertainment on Shapiro’s $1.6 million yacht and personal watercraft.
• A $250 bounty for a sack in a 27-7 win over Virginia Tech on Nov. 5, 2005.
• One source corroborated Nanton receiving drinks and VIP access from Shapiro on multiple occasions.
• Yahoo! Sports acquired multiple photos showing Nanton in attendance on Shapiro’s yacht for a fishing trip in the summer of 2003.
• Yahoo! Sports acquired photos of Nanton attending Shapiro’s 34th birthday party at the booster’s Miami Beach home.
In Shapiro’s words
• “Javon Nanton was a walk-on player at the University of Miami. His nickname was ‘Bird.’ He was real close with D.J. Williams and Leon Williams and John Vilma. He was always around my parties that I used to throw for the players and was at my house at least 20 times. Maybe more. He was in the club scene with us almost always.”
Nanton denied receiving payments for bounties and being aboard Shapiro’s yacht. “I don’t know where these allegations are coming from but I’ve got nothing to do with it,” Nanton said. “[Shapiro’s] a good guy, as far as I know of. But he never gave me (what he alleged). I’m kind of flattered because it makes me sound like I was a Heisman candidate or something. Like I was Terrelle Pryor or something. … I don’t know what this is all about.”