You ready for the nicest play of the season?
Not so fast, slick. The Dolphins unveiled the play of the year: a two-lateral sprint for 69 yards that left the Patriots grasping at air, a loss wrapped around their disbelieving necks.
• Quarterback Ryan Tannehill took the snap in shotgun formation at Miami’s 31.
• Tannehill found Kenny Stills on the right side for a short completion.
• Stills ran for 14 yards, then lateraled to DeVante Parker.
• Parker scuttled for another five yards, then lateraled to Kenyan Drake.
• Drake then wove his way through the last vestiges of the New England defense, including a flailing Rob Gronkowski, for a 50-yard touchdown.
It was a brilliant maneuver — New England was prepped for a Hail Mary, but Miami opted for a dump-and-lateral showpiece. And amazingly enough, it paid off.
Gronkowski’s postgame reaction on the loss: “It sucked.”
More from Yahoo Sports:
• Report: Cowboys’ Jason Garrett tried to lure Jason Witten out of ‘Monday Night Football’ booth
• Heisman Trophy winner Kyler Murray will honor Athletics contract, according to agent
• Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh on potential NFL return: ‘I’m not going anywhere’
• Bulls suffer worst loss in franchise history mere days after firing Fred Hoiberg