Carmelo Anthony has transitioned into the backup phase of his career.
Carmelo Anthony not in Rockets starting lineup
Backup for the first time
Wednesday’s is the first game in his 1,054-game career that Anthony is not in the starting lineup.
Anthony famously scoffed at the idea of coming of the bench last season for the Oklahoma City Thunder.
Anthony softened stance on starting in Houston
He changed his tune this offseason, apparently more self-aware of his diminishing skillset after 15 years in the NBA and effectively being ousted after struggling in Oklahoma City.
“All the questions of coming off the bench, I don’t want to answer those questions at the end of the day,” Anthony said at Houston’s media day. “Whatever I have to do to help this team win a championship, that’s what’s going to be done.”
Carmelo says he saw all the memes of his comments last year about him coming off the bench, but if it comes to him doing so, they’ll have that conversations pic.twitter.com/B6ipQgP52T
— Kelly Iko (@KellyIkoNBA) September 24, 2018
The Rockets already have two ball-dominant guards in the starting lineup in Paul and Harden. In an offense that’s heavy on isolation, it was difficult to imagine a player like Anthony who needs the ball in his hands coexisting in a lineup with Houston’s established playmakers.
A sixth-man role where Anthony could play a starring role on the team’s second unit made since from day one. That appears to be the conclusion D’Antoni reached.
More from Yahoo Sports:
• Lonzo’s new signature shoes are … something
• Chargers in L.A. looking like a very bad idea
• Ailing former Saints star welcomes precious new gift
• Mayweather responds to Khabib’s challenge