Watch highlights:

From The Marbles

Tony Stewart will not race at Bristol as Jeff Burton substitutes for him again

Nick Bromberg
From The Marbles
Tony Stewart skips 3rd race after Ward's death
.

View photo

FILE - In this July 12, 2013 file photo, NASCAR driver Tony Stewart speaks at a press conference prior to NASCAR practice at the New Hampshire Motor Speedway in Loudon, N.H. Stewart is skipping a second straight Sprint Cup race, and it is not clear when the NASCAR star might return after he struck and killed a driver at a dirt-track race in New York last weekend. (AP Photo/Cheryl Senter, File)

Tony Stewart is not driving at Bristol.

The team announced Wednesday afternoon that Jeff Burton would substitute for Stewart again. Burton drove the No. 14 at Michigan. Stewart has not driven in a Sprint Cup Series race since he struck and killed Kevin Ward at a dirt track in upstate New York on August 9.

Just like with Burton's appearance in Stewart's car last week, the team said the decision only pertains to Bristol and that any decision on Atlanta, the next race on the Sprint Cup circuit, hasn't been made.

The investigation into Ward's death is still ongoing by the Ontario County (N.Y.) Sheriff's Department. Last week, Sheriff Philip Povero said the investigation could take two weeks. There are no criminal charges pending against Stewart at the current time and Povero said last week there was no evidence of criminal intent.

Burton's ride at Michigan was cut short because of a broken tailpipe on Sunday. The team said a crack in the tailpipe meant heat was catching the heat shields underneath the car on fire.

Burton has driven in three Cup Series races this year. He drove twice previously for Michael Waltrip Racing and is going to be an analyst for NBC's race coverage in 2015.

- - - - - - -

Nick Bromberg is the editor of From The Marbles on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at nickbromberg@yahoo.com or follow him on Twitter!