From The Marbles
- Nick Bromberg at From The Marbles22 hrs ago
Your browser does not support iframes.
Former NHRA driver Don Prudhomme estimates that Tony Stewart was alone for 90 minutes after he was injured driving a sand buggy over the weekend.
Stewart is slated to be out for the first part of the NASCAR season after suffering a burst fracture to his L1 vertebra on Sunday. Prudhomme, who was with a group that included Stewart, Jeff Gordon, Rusty Wallace, Ray Evernham, Greg Biffle and others, told NBC's NASCAR Talk that Stewart had been separated from the group and they realized he was gone when they stopped to talk.
“We were riding these sand rails. We do that quite a bit. We were all together. What really happened is, it isn’t hard to get split off from one another. In other words, if a guy makes a left turn and you’re not watching his flags or there’s dust or something, you can make a right turn and kind of get lost.
- Nick Bromberg at From The Marbles1 day ago
Former Sprint Cup Series champion and NBC analyst Dale Jarrett said Thursday that Stewart-Haas Racing believes Tony Stewart will likely be sidelined from racing at least three months and could be out as many as six months.
Jarrett made the comments while discussing Stewart's back injury on NASCAR America. Stewart was injured Sunday in a sand buggy accident in Arizona. Stewart-Haas Racing has officially said Stewart will be out indefinitely and miss the beginning of the 2016 season, though he will return to the car during the season.
"It's an unfortunate situation, but I can tell you with my conversations with people from Stewart-Haas ... the decisions were made not about getting Tony Stewart back in the race car as soon as they possibly could this year, it was about the quality of life 5, 10, 20 years down the road," Jarrett said. "That’s what they wanted the most for Tony Stewart was to have a great life after all of this is said and done."
- Nick Bromberg at From The Marbles1 day ago
If Tony Stewart never drives in another Daytona 500, he's the only driver to finish his career with three or more Sprint Cup Series titles and no Daytona 500 victories.
2016 was set to be Stewart's last shot at an elusive Daytona 500 win. The three-time Cup champion (2002, 2005, 2011) entered his final season 0-17 in the 500. And he'll continue to be 0-17 after the news Thursday afternoon that Stewart would miss the start of the 2016 season with a spinal fracture.
NBC analyst and 2000 Sprint Cup Series champion Dale Jarrett said later Thursday afternoon on NASCAR America that people at Stewart-Haas Racing expected Stewart to likely miss 3 months or more.
- Jay Busbee at From The Marbles1 day ago
The ripple effect from Tony Stewart's ATV wreck earlier this week will cost him what could be his final chance at his long-desired Daytona 500 victory, and possibly much more.
Stewart, 44, who wrecked his ATV on Sunday while vacationing on the West Coast, sustained a burst fracture of the L1 vertebra in his back. He was able to move all extremities, according to initial reports. A Thursday afternoon update provided greater detail into the specifics of Stewart's condition as well as his immediate future.
According to a Stewart-Haas Racing statement, he was flown to North Carolina on Tuesday and underwent surgery on Wednesday. "The subsequent recovery period means Stewart will miss the beginning of the Sprint Cup season," the statement read. "A timetable for Stewart's return has not been determined, but he is expected to make a full recovery and return to the No. 14 Chevrolet in 2016." The team did not announce a replacement driver.
Here is the full statement:
- Nick Bromberg at From The Marbles3 days ago
Tony Stewart was hospitalized after suffering a back injury in an accident on Sunday, according to Stewart-Haas Racing. A team spokesman said that Stewart was injured in an all-terrain vehicile on the West Coast, according to multiple reports.
A team statement Tuesday afternoon said the three-time Sprint Cup Series champion was transported to a hospital and is currently under evaluation. He is able to move all extremities and is awake and alert. SHR will give an update on Stewart's status Thursday afternoon.
Stewart, 44, has already announced he is retiring at the end of the 2016 season, which begins on Feb. 21 with the Daytona 500, a race he's never won. He's 0-for-17 in the 500.
Now his status for NASCAR's biggest race appears in doubt.
Stewart is scheduled to compete in The Sprint Unlimited on February 13. Qualifying for the front row of the Daytona 500 is the next day and the qualifying races for the race are on Feb. 18.
"On behalf of everyone at NASCAR, I wish Tony a full recovery and look forward to seeing him back in our sport when he’s ready to return," NASCAR CEO Brian France said in a statement.
- Nick Bromberg at From The Marbles5 days ago
Add Honda to the list of manufacturers who have won an overall title at the Rolex 24.
The Honda HPD Ligier JS for Tequila Patron Extreme Speed Motorsports driven by Pipo Derani was the class of the Protoype field as the 24-hour endurance race stretched into Sunday morning and cruised to victory over the No. 10 Wayne Taylor Racing Corvette which was piloted by Max Angelleli at the end.
It's the first Rolex 24 win for ESM Racing, owned by Ed Brown and former IndyCar driver Scott Sharp. Both Brown and Sharp drove the car along with Derani and Johannes van Overbeek.
While Derani was 15+ seconds ahead of the rest of the Prototypes at the end of the race, the finishes in the GT Le Mans and GT Daytona categories were fantastic. The GTLM finish came down to the two Corvette CR7s and Oliver Gavin beat Antonio Garcia by less than a car length.
- Jay Busbee at From The Marbles9 days ago
Barney Hall, the longtime NASCAR announcer whose voice carried racing to millions of fans over half a century, has died. The Elkin, N.C. native called dozens of Daytona 500s for Motor Racing Network, his voice echoing out of thousands of radios across the country.
"For the longest time he was THE voice of @NASCAR," Dale Earnhardt Jr. tweeted prior to news of Hall's passing. "Just perfection. Thoughts and prayers."
Hall passed away following complications for a recent medical procedure. He was 83 years old. He first called the Daytona 500 in 1960, and was part of the broadcast for 53 of 57 Daytonas to date. Along with Ken Squier, Hall was one of the most memorable voices in NASCAR, and it's fitting that Squier and Hall are the namesakes for the NASCAR Hall of Fame's award for excellence in media.
- Nick Bromberg at From The Marbles11 days ago
David Ragan has found a Sprint Cup ride for the upcoming season.
Ragan told an Atlanta's Fox 5 that he would drive for BK Racing in 2016. Matt DiBenedetto, who drove for the team in 2015, will be the driver of the No. 83.
Ragan, 30, drove for three teams in the Cup Series in 2015. He started the season with Front Row Motorsports and moved to Joe Gibbs Racing when the team needed a substitute for Kyle Busch. Ragan then became the substitute driver for Brian Vickers at Michael Waltrip Racing for the rest of the season.
He drove the Daytona 500 for Front Row, the next nine for JGR and 26 for MWR. He was without a ride for the 2016 season after MWR said it was not fielding a full time team after 2015. Ragan had one top-five finish in 2015 -- he was fifth at Martinsville in the spring while driving in Busch's place.
- Nick Bromberg at From The Marbles14 days ago
The 2016 inductees into the NASCAR Hall of Fame will have to wait another day before the induction ceremony.
Thanks to the snow and ice storm that's blanketed the East Coast, the induction ceremony scheduled for Friday night at the NASCAR Hall of Fame in Charlotte, North Carolina, has been moved to 2:30 p.m. ET on Saturday.
The NASCAR Hall of Fame made the announcement Friday morning after snow fell overnight in Charlotte. Ice was expected to follow the snow. The Hall of Fame is closing early on Friday afternoon.
Jerry Cook, Bobby Isaac, Terry Labonte, Bruton Smith and Curtis Turner are this year's inductees. Cook is a six-time modified series champion while Isaac won 37 Sprint Cup races and the 1970 title. Labonte is a two-time series champion and Turner had 17 wins in 184 races. Smith is the executive chairman of Speedway Motorsports, Inc. a company that owns numerous tracks on the NASCAR schedule.
- - - - - - -
- Nick Bromberg at From The Marbles15 days ago
Tony Stewart wants to see Brian France around the Sprint Cup circuit a whole lot more.
Stewart, who is competing in his final Sprint Cup Series season in 2016, said on SiriusXM Speedway on Thursday afternoon that he would like to have NASCAR's CEO be present more frequently, both in discussions with drivers and during race weekends.
The three-time champion said France talked with him at Pocono last August. The race came as NASCAR was in the middle of testing out a high-drag rules package for races at Indianapolis and Michigan. The rules idea was the brainchild of NASCAR vice president Gene Stefanyshyn.
Stewart has advocated for less drag and downforce on Cup cars and said earlier Thursday that he'd like to see Cup cars have more downforce taken away.