Is there such a thing as a normal week in the world of MMA? The build-up to UFC 89, Fedor Emelianenko and more Gina Carano filled the past week.
- Yahoo's latest rankings are out, and as Dave Doyle points out, they are likely to change before the end of the year. Several fighters on the list have fights coming up, including Anderson Silva, Urijah Faber and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.
- On the Fedor front, Affliction announced that he will fight Andrei Arlovski on Jan. 24 in Anaheim, Calif. Or maybe it will be Josh Barnett. Or Bobo the Clown! Donald Trump announced a new reality show, "Fighting Fedor," in which the "winner" would fight Fedor. Yes, that's definitely a credible way to build up Affliction.
- Gina Carano thought everything was fine with the EliteXC weigh-ins. She must have noticed how some UFC fighters have been treated after speaking out against the organization. If it was her intent to voice her concerns through Kim Couture, it was a very smart move.
- MMA Weekly compiled a list of the most-watched MMA fights in history. Not surprisingly, the EliteXC's Kimbo Slice vs. James Thompson is at the top.
- A few weeks after Bloody Elbow reported that Lloyd Irvin fought off attackers in his home, sports uber-blog Deadspin picked it up and called the report dubious at best, while also landing a few jabs at MMA sites. Bloody Elbow responded, but in treating MMA sites like a joke, Deadspin made themselves out to be no better than a certain writer for the Washington Post.
- Anderson Silva tells Sherdog: "No, really. I am retiring."
Join us tomorrow night for a live blog of UFC 89 where you will see more of Akihiro Gono (pictured). Spike's free broadcast starts at 9 p.m. ET, and we will start the live blog at 8:45. Hope to see you there!