• Justin Rose played one of those final rounds that only works at the U.S. Open, making five birdies and five bogeys to post a round of even-par 70 on a golf course that wasn't budging a bit. Rose's 1-over total was good enough for a two-shot victory and a first major championship win.
• We all knew it was Phil Mickelson's U.S. Open to lose heading into Sunday, and while he fought as hard as he could, it just wasn't enough, and a missed birdie putt on the 16th all but ended it for Phil. This is now his sixth runner-up finish at the U.S. Open, the most of any player in the history of the event.
• Tiger Woods left Merion with another disappointing major championship, finishing 13-over par, his highest total at the U.S. Open in his professional career. Tiger's feel was way off all week, missing short putts and hitting chips fat all over Merion, and we will have to wait until the British Open to see if Woods can add another major title to his résumé.
Any winning round is the round of the day, but besides Rose you'd have to give the honor to Jason Dufner, who shot 3-under 67 despite a triple-bogey on the 15th. Dufner had the low round of the day and moved up 21 spots to have his second straight T-4 at the U.S. Open.
Phil Mickelson needed some magic on Sunday at Merion, and got it on the 10th hole with this eagle from 76 yards. While he didn't go on to win, this shot got him back in the golf tournament.
While Rory McIlroy wasn't much of a story in the sense of a winner, he did make a highlight on Sunday by breaking his golf club after a rough 11th hole.
The good news about the U.S. Open ending is we only have to wait a few weeks until the next major championship. The British Open kicks off on July 14 at Muirfield, so get your golf rest before we get another shot at a historical major winner.More U.S. Open coverage from Yahoo! Sports
• Phil Mickelson gives USGA official a piece of his mind over tee placement
• Luke Donald hits volunteer in the head with errant shot
• Rory McIlroy punishes pitching wedge after approach shot gets wet
• Tiger Woods stumbles to worst score ever in a major
- Sports & Recreation
- Justin Rose
- Tiger Woods