If 2017 was about cherishing the return of NFL touchdown celebrations, 2018 was about taking those dances to the next level. No need to worry, though. The league delivered and then some. This season saw players paying homage to the celebration originators, mocking themselves and launching a thousand or so memes.
Here are your top 10 touchdown celebrations in 2018.
10) Week 1: Cam Newton rides the horse in the end zone
9) Week 5: JuJu Smith-Schuster gives birth to a football
8) Week 8: Kenyan Drake does the Carlton dance
7) Week 4: Sterling Shepard-Odell Beckham Jr. play ‘Rock, Paper, Scissors’
6) Week 3: Marquise Goodwin-Kendrick Bourne handshake
5) Week 3: Hooping on the gridiron
4) Week 7: Seahawks ‘Drumline’ celebration
3) Week 9: Seahawks group dance party
Drumline was great. The choreographed dance was even better. Whatever the Seahawks are doing in the team meetings to come up with these celebrations, it’s clearly working.
2) Week 12: Zeke Elliott makes a donation to Salvation Army
The Cowboys running back really trolled himself.
1) Week 9: Michael Thomas’ Joe Horn tribute
Was there ever any doubt?
The Saints wideout was fined $30,000 for his Joe Horn tribute but there’s no question it was one of the most entertaining moments all year. Not only did Thomas go retro and find a flip phone like Horn used — he bought it at a local liquor store. He also had to hope and pray that he scored and that the touchdown went to the end zone where he stashed the phone.
This was a perfect blend of preparation, skill, luck and acknowledging those who came before you. Nothing came close to topping it.
– – – – – –
More from Yahoo Sports:
• Watch: Falcons punter crushes player with huge tackle
• NFL Winners and Losers: Foles’ strange career
• Late hit sparks brawl, leads to 49ers star’s ejection
• Raiders reportedly consider wild London plan for 2019