The Shell Houston Open is the last opportunity for a player to earn a berth into the Masters. Win and you’re in, if you’re not already.
The Golf Club of Houston is a great host, set up to look and play as much like Masters host Augusta National as humanly possible. That’s why a number of top-10 players are in the field this week to prepare for the first major of the year.
Here are our top five players this week:
1. Jordan Spieth — Spieth came out flat in his first match at the WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play, and that was that, basically. However, he didn’t play that poorly and his form is generally good. Has contended here previously.
2. Phil Mickelson — Mickelson has said he doesn’t really try to win this event. That’s fine, though, as he is a routine top-15 finisher here. He’s a good fantasy team addition if you’re not limited on starts. Otherwise, wait ’til next week.
3. Jon Rahm — Rahm played a lot of golf last week, just like Dustin Johnson. If Rahm remains in the field, his power should help him maneuver around the Golf Club of Houston without much issue.
4. Henrik Stenson — He’s either in the top 10 or he misses the cut right now, which is pretty fascinating. Enough screwing around, he’s ready to win another major or not, and we’ll know this week.
5. Justin Rose — Rose is a tough flower to pick each week. Yes, he makes money. However, his pattern this year is a great start followed by an OK one. He’s on the OK part of the cycle this week.