The San Diego Padres didn't make any last-minute moves at the trade deadline, and team officials were comfortable with that.
They already had signed two players being targeted by other teams -- left fielder Carlos Quentin and right-handed closer Huston Street -- to multi-year contract extensions, and they set the cost for third baseman Chase Headley so high that clubs stopped calling.
"We never put the 'For Sale' sign in the front yard," Padres general manager Josh Byrnes said Tuesday. "We like this group moving forward."
Headley drew the most interest as the deadline approached, but Byrnes said the list of Padres being sought by contending teams was "a good number."
The 28-year-old Headley had been the subject of many rumors over the last month because of his talent plus the fact that third base prospect Jedd Gyorko is hitting .337 with 17 homers and 60 RBI in 60 games with Triple-A Tucson.
But no other team came forward with a package that interested the Padres, although, given the depth of talent that the Padres have at third in their system, Headley could still be moved this winter.
"We were focused on a short list of players," Byrnes said of his discussions with other teams regarding Headley. "We were pretty forward about what we wanted. We weren't getting value back. We were probably busiest in talks late last night and early this morning."
Padres manager Bud Black thinks not trading Headley sends out another "positive message" to the fans.
"We've talked about the continuity of this group," said Black. "I like how we've been focused. Josh felt it is in the best interest of the club to remain where it is. Every year is different."