March 07, 2011
1. The picture to the right is what union rep Evan Longoria(notes) would look like after hearing his Tampa Bay Rays were being contracted. But Longo can chew away after MLBPA head Michael Weiner stopped by the team's camp to confirm what Rob Iracane already told us on Friday: No teams will be put on the chopping block during the upcoming negotiations for the new CBA. St. Pete Times
2. Ross Gload(notes) has good news for Philadelphia Phillies teammate Domonic Brown(notes): He broke the same bone in his hand back in 2002 and thinks Brown could possibly return in time to make the opening-day lineup. Delco Times
3. Baseball fans will remember Clint Barmes'(notes) deer meat fall as one of the freakiest injuries in baseball history, but the newest member of the Houston Astros will remember it as the way he picked up a wife. Houston Chronicle
STEW NEWS! I've returned to Chicago from Florida so that I can properly observe Casimir Pulaski Day, but DB has grabbed the baton and is finishing out our Grapefruit League coverage. His reports from Central Florida will drop Monday. Follow his journey on Twitter.
5. The Dodgers took out a cool full-page ad honoring Duke Snider in the L.A. Times. SoSG
6. The Chicago White Sox inked reliever Matt Thornton(notes) to a two-year contract extension worth $12 million over the weekend, a deal that likely signals the lefthander will serve as the team's closer this season. South Side Sox
10. When I was in Clearwater last week, I was amazed at the sheer amount of "Chooch 51" jerseys I saw in the stands. Channeling the cult popularity of catcher Carlos Ruiz(notes), the Phillies will hand out similar T-shirts as one of this year's giveaways. Check out the just-announced haul. The 700 Level