John Wooden, the Indiana farmboy who became college basketball's most iconic coach while leading UCLA to an unprecedented 10 national championships, died Friday evening at UCLA Medical Center. He was 99.
Here's a sampling of Yahoo! Sports' coverage celebrating his remarkable life:
• Legendary John Wooden dead at 99: My look back at the journey that took Wooden from rural Indiana to the pinnacle of his profession.
• Wooden's legacy that of an innovator: Dan Wetzel writes that Wooden will forever be remembered as an American legend.
• Wizard's influence went beyond basketball: Steve Henson examines Wooden's impact off the court.
• Timeline: Relive the highlights of Wooden's amazing life.
• Photo Gallery: 15 famous images of Wooden the player, the coach and the icon.
• Tribute: An Associated Press video celebrating Wooden's accomplishments
- John Wooden