Marlin girls wrap up regular season with .500 weekend

Feb. 12—WATERTOWN, S.D. — The Mitchell Marlins girls hockey team closed out its regular season slate over the weekend.

Mitchell was able to defeat Watertown on Friday night 4-2 in its final road contest before losing the home finale 6-1 against Aberdeen the following day at the Mitchell Activities Center.

Against Watertown, it was all Marlins throughout the first two periods of the game Friday. Brynlee Sabers opened the scoring with her state-leading 30th goal of the season nearly four minutes into the opening period. Makenna Tronnes followed suit with a goal of her own near the halfway point of the first, scoring off assists from Reese Amick and Livaya Mimmack.

Mimmack found the back of the net with the lone tally of the second period, with Tronnes and Analeigh Hotchkiss getting credit with the assists. Mitchell outshot Watertown 25-10 through the first two periods, and the Marlins put up 38 shots on goal for the game.

The third period saw the Lakers climb back into the game, as Janel Lloyd and Emma Schleusner made it a 3-2 contest with under four minutes remaining in the third period. It was as close as Watertown got to the Marlins' lead, as Tristen Zimmer scored an empty netter with 48 seconds left to seal the victory.

Saturday's contest was the opposite on Friday, as Aberdeen outshot Mitchell 39-20 in the game. The Marlins also drew five penalties in the affair, though they successfully killed off three Cougars power plays.

After Madeline Sandvig scored the opening goal in the first period, Sabers scored her 31st goal in the second period off assists from Tronnes and Zimmer, evening the game at one apiece. In the third period, the No. 2-ranked Cougars erupted for four goals within four minutes, with Sandving scoring her second of the game to cap Aberdeen's run. Morgan Jones also scored twice, adding a fifth goal with about five minutes remaining in the game.

Mitchell finishes its regular season at 9-4-1 and with 19 points. The girls varsity state tournament begins Friday, March 1, in Watertown, with the Marlins currently slotted in as the No. 3 seed.

FORT PIERRE, S.D. — The Mitchell Marlins boys hockey team quickly jumped out ahead against the Oahe Capitals on Friday night.

Not to be deterred, Oahe's sticks came to life in a huge way in the second period. The Capitals converted two of their three power plays as part of a five-goal second period to down the Marlins 7-3.

In total, Oahe outshot Mitchell 45-27 for the game, including 30 shots on goal in the final two periods, whereas the Marlins could only attempt to score 17 times.

The Marlins scored first as Mick Dailey found the back of the net unassisted eight minutes into the first period. As the second period began, Devin Dodson and Aidan Dozark quickly scored to put Oahe out in front. Barret Schweitzer scored the first power-play goal of the period at the 10:30 mark, and later added another goal a few minutes later. Andrew Coughlin capped the period with another power-play goal for the Capitals.

Mitchell scored twice in the third period, with Lukas Jerke and Parker Denne each picking up goals. Schweitzer completed the hat trick in the third as well, and Jarron Beck accounted for the remaining goal of the game for either side.

Mitchell (10-6) has three road games in store this coming weekend, beginning with a battle against Brookings on Friday, Feb. 16.