Girlfriend alleges brutal assault at hands of Seahawks' Trevone Boykin

Police in Texas are investigating Seattle Seahawks backup QB Trevone Boykin after allegedly attacking his girlfriend last week. (AP)
Police in Texas are investigating Seattle Seahawks backup QB Trevone Boykin after allegedly attacking his girlfriend last week. (AP)

The longtime girlfriend of Seattle Seahawks backup quarterback Trevone Boykin is accusing Boykins of a brutal assault last week that put her in the hospital for three days.

On Monday night, Shabrika Bailey detailed the attack to Dallas television station WFAA with her jaw still wired shut.

Police in Mansfield, Texas confirmed to WFAA on Tuesday morning that Boykin is under investigation.

UPDATE: Shortly after WFAA’s story with Bailey, the Seahawks released Boykin; the team announced the move on Twitter.

Bailey said the two began arguing last Tuesday night at Boykin’s home in Mansfield after Boykin wanted to see a text message she had received and she refused to unlock her phone to show him.

“So he goes into a choke. I remember him choking me and I’m trying to calm him down. And I just couldn’t. And I blacked out. I just couldn’t calm him down at all,” Bailey told WFAA.

“The pressure was just hard. The pressure got hard to where I just remember just collapsing completely. And I just woke up in a puddle of blood on the kitchen floor. My whole right side was full of blood on the kitchen floor.”

It is unclear where Bailey’s blood was coming from.

According to Bailey, Boykin dragged her to a bathtub, took off her clothes and tried to clean her up. The next day, he drove her to Dallas Regional Medical Center, but took off when hospital staff separated the two to ask questions about what had occurred.

He did not return.

Bailey’s jaw was broken on the left and right sides. She had to be airlifted to a second hospital, Parkland Memorial in Dallas, due to difficulty breathing from a swollen and constricted airway. She was in the hospital for three days, released on Saturday.

“And I’ve never seen that much blood. I thought I was bleeding from somewhere else cause it was so much blood, completely,” Bailey said.

Boykin and Bailey were arrested together a year ago in Dallas; Boykin was a passenger in Bailey’s car when Bailey backed into the outside wall of a nightclub, striking and injuring several pedestrians.

Bailey was arrested on charges of intoxication assault, and Boykin, who initially fled the scene but returned, was arrested for public intoxication and possession of marijuana.

Bailey told WFAA that the accident happened because Boykin was attacking her in the car.

“He leaned over, attacked me, and choked me unconscious which made the car go into drive to reverse,” she said.

When asked when she didn’t say anything at the time of the incident, Bailey said, “I was scared. I was just scared. Terrified, of everything.”

As happens often with victims of domestic violence, Bailey covered for Boykin at the time, hoping to protect his NFL career – undrafted out of TCU in 2016, he appeared in five games as a rookie, but did not attempt a pass last season – and because Boykin asked her to keep quiet.

Boykin did so again this time, Bailey said, asking her to lie about how her jaw was broken.

Bailey produced text messages to WFAA backing up her assertion.

“His first suggestion was to say that I fell. Then he suggested that I got beat up by a girl, or jumped. Then he suggested that I fell again,” she said.

“He’s saying basically since we’ve already been in a case we don’t need nothing else. And of course his football career is on the line. That’s his main goal, just ‘my football career is on the line,” Bailey added.

But Bailey won’t protect Boykin anymore, she told WFAA. She’s filed a criminal complaint with Mansfield police and went public with the attack.

“Just because how he’s leading about the situation, it’s just not cool. Like we’ve been way better than that. Yes, I know I’m probably just dumb and shouldn’t have did it the first time… but this time you could have killed me, like completely,” she said.

“It just can’t keep going on. He just can’t get away with this. This is serious. This is domestic violence. You can’t keep doing this, it’s not cool, to constantly, like, make me the victim and you get away with it. Something has to happen because right now [he’s] just consistent with it. Like he can get away with it and nobody ever know.”

Detectives from Mansfield Police Department spoke with Bailey at her home on Tuesday for an initial interview; they also spoke briefly with her brother.

More from Yahoo Sports:
Pats owner on gun debate: ‘Something’s not right’
Loyola Chicago’s run reveals NCAA selection flaws
Next step in LiAngelo’s journey: NBA draft
Marlins reject $200K from Marlins Man for season tickets