Nevin Shapiro on Moncur: Play audio
Miami booster Nevin Shapiro alleges he provided extra benefits to Eric Moncur during the player’s career with the Hurricanes. Among the benefits he claimed to have provided:
• Food, drinks and entertainment at both Shapiro's $2.7 Miami Beach home and his $6 million Miami Beach mansion.
• Small cash gifts.
• Meals at Miami-area restaurants including an August 2006 dinner at Italian eatery Grazie.
• Drinks and VIP access in night clubs. On one such night, Shapiro said he was accompanied by Moncur, Randy Phillips and Gavin Hardin to a Halloween party at Miami Beach's Cameo Theatre. Shapiro said he attended the party dressed as the character "Brad 'B-Rad' Gluckman" from the movie "Malibu's Most Wanted." The booster said Moncur, Phillips and Hardin were dressed as the bodyguard characters from the movie, and that the foursome racked up a bill "in the thousands" on drinks in their VIP area.
• Yahoo! Sports acquired Shapiro's August 2006 American Express Platinum card statement showing a charge of $926.50 for the Grazie dinner Shapiro said was attended by Moncur and multiple players.
• Yahoo! Sports acquired a copy of statements from Shapiro's American Express black card showing a $2,000 charge from Cameo Theatre on Nov. 1, 2008. The charges were carried over from the night of Oct. 31.
• Yahoo! Sports acquired a photo of Shapiro with Phillips, Hardin and Moncur which the booster said was taken at Cameo during the Halloween party, showing the four men dressed in their costumes.
In Shapiro's words
• "Eric Moncur was one of my favorite guys in my situation and relationships with University of Miami players. He had lost his mom his last year and was dealing with an injury. I believe it was his groin. He was always in my house. Club scene a few times. Cash here and there, if he needed some help. He was really just a good kid. I liked him a lot and felt really bad [about] what he was going through with the loss of his mom."
Nevin Shapiro's cell phone providers condensed his calling records from 2002 to 2008 and deleted the booster's text messaging records prior to 2009. Despite a significant portion of his records being expunged, Yahoo! Sports was able to identify 34 calls or texts between Shapiro and Eric Moncur from April 2009 and November 2009. This is a page showing communication between the booster and a phone number linked to Moncur. PDF file
This page from Shapiro's October 2008 American Express black card statement shows a $2,000 charge to Miami Beach nightclub Cameo Theatre, for alcohol the booster charged in his VIP section with Hurricanes players Randy Phillips, Gavin Hardin and Eric Moncur. It matches up with a Halloween party Shapiro said he attended with the three players. Yahoo! Sports also has a photo taken that night of Shapiro with the three players. PDF file
This page from Shapiro's August 2006 American Express Platinum card statement shows a charge of $926.50 that the booster identified as a preseason dinner at Miami Beach eatery Grazie. Shapiro said he attended the dinner and paid for the meals of seven players: Randy Phillips, Calais Campbell, Bryan Pata, Eric Moncur, Courtney Harris, Anthony Reddick and Reggie Youngblood. An employee from Grazie declined to give specific accounts of meals but confirmed to Yahoo! Sports that Shapiro regularly brought Hurricanes players into the eatery to dine. PDF file
Did not respond to a message left on his Facebook page.
- Randy Phillips
- Cameo Theatre
- Miami Beach