A daily look at who's in and who's out ...
Clinched knockout round spot (through Sunday): Chile, Netherlands, Colombia, Costa Rica, Argentina, Belgium
Eliminated from knockout round contention (through Sunday): Australia, Cameroon, Spain, England, Bosnia-Herzegovina
What happened on Sunday
• United States (4) and Portugal (1) played to a 2-2 draw
What that means: The Americans were just seconds away from guaranteeing a spot in the knockout round, but it wasn't to be. All four teams in Group G are still alive heading into Thursday's matches.
Here's the scenario:
• U.S. and Germany advance with a win or draw in their match. (Germany wins group if draw)
• The loser of the U.S.-Germany match can still advance if Portugal-Ghana draws or if they have superior goal differential with winner of that match. (Current GDs: GER +4, USA +1, GHA -1, POR -4)
• Portugal-Ghana winner advances with win and by beating loser of US/Germany on tiebreaker.
• Belgium (6) beat Russia (1), 1-0
• Algeria (3) beat South Korea (1), 4-2
What that means: Belgium has clinched a knockout round spot and will clinch first place in the group win a win/draw against South Korea. The three other teams remain alive, but Algeria controls its own destiny (a win over Russia sends the Algerians through).
What's at stake on Monday?
GROUP A — 4 p.m. ET
Croatia (3) vs. Mexico (4), Cameroon (0) vs. Brazil (4)
Brazil advances with a win or draw or a one-goal loss unless Mex/Cro draw.
Mexico advances with a win or draw
Croatia advances with a win or a draw + a Brazil loss
Cameroon has already been eliminated.
GROUP B: Noon ET
Netherlands (6) vs. Chile (6)
Australia (0) vs. Spain (0)
Netherlands wins first place in group with a win or draw
Chile wins first place in group with a win.
Australia and Spain have already been eliminated
FIFA's tiebreaking procedures for group play
• Greatest number of points obtained in all the group matches
• Goal difference in the group matches
• Greatest number of goals scored in the group matches
• Head-to-head comparison
• Drawing of lots
- Sports & Recreation