Here is the Puck Daddy Viewing Guide: Spotlighting five things to watch for during tonight's slate of games. Make sure to stop back here for the nightly Three Stars when the games are finished.
Create-a-Caption: "Russian fans celebrate after a goal in the third period against Slovenia during the Men's Ice Hockey Preliminary"
Czech Republic vs. Latvia, 3:00 a.m. EST
Sweden vs. Switzerland, 7:30 a.m. EST
Canada vs. Austria, 12:00 p.m. EST
Norway vs. Finland, 12:00 p.m. EST
Five things to know about today's Olympic games ...
1) "As they say in fashion, sometimes you're in..." Roberto Luongo is starting for Canada in the second part of Mike Babcock's grand experiment in goalie selection. Carey Price earned a 'W' on Thursday. P.K. Subban, Matt Duchene and Mike Smith (as backup) will be making their Olympic debuts.
2) "...and other times you're out!" We know Price is out for game two, but who will be the other two Canadians in the press-box?
3) Save the player from himself? Swedish captain Henrik Zetterberg missed practice on Thursday in order to rest a herniated disc in his back. He's a game-time decision against Switzerland. He's missed 11 games with Detroit due to back problems, and they'll need him to make the playoffs.
4) Which Finn to win? Tuukka Rask gave up four goals on 20 shots in Finland's 8-4 win. Sure, a win's a win, but considering the depth at goaltender, could we possibly see Antti Niemi or Kari Lehtonen get the nod against Norway?
5) Pavelec's timeout over. In the Czech Republic's first game against Sweden, management decided to dress their two goaltenders from the KHL instead of using NHL'er Ondrej Pavelec. Some guessed this was to punish Pavelec for lack participation in other national team events; others thought it was to reward the KHL'ers for recent good play. Whatever the reason, Pavelec's punishment(?) is over and he'll get the start against Latvia. Sweden > Latvia
Bold prediction: Teemu Selanne makes his triumphant return and gets a hat-trick in the Finns win against Norway. It's Teemu. That's just what he does.
(If you have a girlfriend/boyfriend, remember it is Valentine's day! You're welcome.)