Here are your Puck Headlines: a glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• The shot on the left was floating around this weekend and picked up in many places reporting that the Bruins roped off their logo in their locker room with Justin Bieber performing a concert at TD Garden. Of course, none of that was true seeing as how the photo that went viral is really from Nov. 2012 (check the feet in the background) and the Bruins confirmed it never happened.
• Hockey Canada announced its full coaching staff for the 2014 Sochi Games. Head coach Mike Babcock will be joined by Ken Hitchcock, Claude Julien and Lindy Ruff. [CP via Y!]
• Alex Radulov on his curfew violation during the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs: “I said to them at the time, 'Come on, I’ll do the tests and they’ll show that I haven’t even had a glass of beer, and you can even take a blood sample.' They said that they didn’t need to test me, and just repeated the accusation of being drunk, so I just told them there was nothing more I could do, since they’d already made their minds up.” [KHL]
• Advanced stats in hockey is a growing field. Fortunately for newbies, Down Goes Brown is here to help with a 12-step program for faking your way through it. [Grantland]
• The Blackhawks will open training camp in September at the University of Notre Dame. [Inside Indiana Business]
• If you've ever wanted to see Mooney wearing a Hartford Whalers shirt while playing street hockey, today's your lucky day. Also, more importantly, a great wrap up of Five Hole for Food in Vancouver. [Pucked in the Head]
at this, but, then again, this is the LA media's thing.
• Jamie Langenbrunner still wants to play. He's from Minnesota. He'd love to play for the Wild. That leads to this question: "Does Minnesota need to sign a local player just because there is interest?" [First Round Bust]
• Al Michaels' call in the final seconds of the "Miracle of Ice" has made the "Greatest Call Tournament" quarterfinals. Time to send it through to the semis. [Awful Announcing]
• Handsome Patrick Sharp meets Weathered Eddie Vedder! [DNA Info]
• Thanks to some Canadian expats, the game of hockey is growing in Southeast Asia. [Globe and Mail]
• "If You Had to Chose 10 NHL Players To Form a Unit Tasked With Fighting a Healthy Male Lion Which Players Would You Pick?" Very entertaining responses. [Reddit]
• Finally, if you're like us, you miss the days when you'd come home from school, turn on the TV and see professional roller hockey on ESPN2:
- Ice Hockey
- Sports & Recreation
- Justin Bieber
- Hockey Canada