Von Miller's appeal hearing is set for next week (USA Today Sports Images)
Slow day around NFL training camps, but that's because 28 NFL teams will play a preseason game tonight or tomorrow night.
• Denver Broncos linebacker Von Miller will have his appeal hearing for his four-game suspension on Aug. 15, Mike Klis of the Denver Post reports. Miller is facing a suspension for allegedly violating the league's substance abuse policy. According to Klis, the format of the appeals hearing has not yet been determined.
• Philadelphia Eagles offensive tackle Dennis Kelly will miss the preseason after undergoing back surgery, Geoff Mosher of CSN Philadelphia notes. Kelly started 10 games last season and with Jason Peters also battling an injury, journeyman Allen Barbre is currently the Eagles' top left tackle.
• Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Plaxico Burress was carted off the practice field on Thursday with a right arm injury. According to multiple reports, Burress was going for a jump ball with a pair of defenders and landed his arm.
• Everyone knows Miami Dolphins defensive ends Cameron Wake, Dion Jordan and Olivier Vernon. Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald thinks you should know Derrick Shelby, who made the team as an undrafted free agent out of Utah in 2012 and is having a solid training camp.
Dolphins defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle on Shelby: "I see more production out of Derrick, stating the other night. He’s always a guy that you can count on the be in the right place, he’s very dependable, yet we saw that playmaking ability the other night and we’ve seen it throughout training camp. He’s been difficult to block, he’s gotten more pressure on the quarterback, he’s been the guy that we feel very pleased with at this point in camp and he’s made a lot of progress."
Here are the notable transactions on Thursday, Aug. 8:
• Hours before their preseason opener, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers pulled the plug on cornerback Myron Lewis, placing the 2010 third-round pick on waivers. The Buccaneers also "waived/injured" defensive end Marvin Booker, who joined the team earlier this week. Cornerback Mason Robinson was re-signed.
• Waived by the Seattle Seahawks on Wednesday, tight end Michael Palmer was claimed by the Steelers, who also signed tight end Nathan Overbay as injuries are hitting the team's tight end position hard during training camp. Heath Miller remains on the physically unable to perform list and Matt Spaeth was carted off the practice field on Wednesday.
• The Arizona Cardinals claimed defensive end Cordian Hagans off waivers from the Steelers.
• The Chicago Bears placed cornerback Kelvin Hayden on injured reserve with a torn hamstring.
- Sports & Recreation
- American Football
- Von Miller
- Denver Broncos