Allegations: Marcus Forston
More in this article:
Nevin Shapiro on Forston: Play audio
Miami booster Nevin Shapiro alleges he provided multiple extra benefits to Marcus Forston starting in his freshman season in 2008. Among the benefits he claimed to have provided:
- Marcus Forston
Position: Defensive tackle
Rivals recruiting rank: Ranked as the No. 7 player overall in the Class of 2008.
Miami career: Forston flashed brilliance as a true freshman before injury led to a medical redshirt in 2009. He showed the ability to dominate at times as a sophomore last season and is expected to take his spot among college football’s elite defensive tackles this year. Already being touted as a potential high first-round NFL draft pick.
• A dinner at Japanese steakhouse Benihana in 2008 which included multiple Miami players.
• Drinks, VIP access and entertainment at The Cheetah strip club in 2008.
• Food, drinks and entertainment at Shapiro's $6 million Miami Beach mansion.
• Bowling for dollars at Lucky Strike Lanes in Miami Beach.
• Food, drinks and entertainment at Lucky Strike Lanes including a “bowling for dollars” tournament over a weekend in September 2008.
• One source corroborated Forston and other Miami players receiving a dinner at Benihana and a strip club visit to The Cheetah in 2008 which was paid by Shapiro.
• Yahoo! Sports acquired Shapiro’s September 2008 American Express black card and American Express Platinum card statements showing three charges totaling $2,114.18 from Sept. 13 to Sept. 15 at Lucky Strike Lanes. This is where the booster held his “bowling for dollars” events.
In Shapiro's words
• "Marcus Forston was part of that heralded Miami incoming crop. The first night I met him, he was brought to Benihana. … We went to The Cheetah from there."
• "Marcus had come to the house a number of times. We stayed in touch via text message. I put him in touch with Vince Wilfork, who plays for the Patriots to give him a little bit of guidance because they play the same position. We'd be bowling for dollars at Lucky Strike Lanes in Miami Beach off Lincoln Road."
Nevin Shapiro's cell phone providers condensed his calling records from 2002 to 2008 and deleted the booster's text messaging records prior to 2009. Despite a significant portion of his records being expunged, Yahoo! Sports was able to identify 45 calls or texts between Shapiro and Marcus Forston from April 2009 to November 2009. This is a page showing communication between the booster and a phone number linked to Forston. PDF file
These pages from Shapiro's September 2008 American Express black card and American Express Platinum card statements show three charges totaling $2,114.18 from Sept. 13 to Sept. 15, for a series of "bowling for dollars" events with Miami football players at the upscale Lucky Strike Lanes. The tab covered drinks, food and bowling, and the charges on Sept. 15 were for a bill spanning the evening of the 14th and the early morning of the 15th. Shapiro said he held the tournaments, which paid cash to winning teams, in the off week between road games against Florida and Texas A&M. He said multiple players were in attendance, including Marcus Forston, Sean Spence, Aldarius Johnson, Randy Phillips, Travis Benjamin and JoJo Nicolas. PDF file
Did not return phone messages.