More in this article:
Nevin Shapiro said this photo was taken in his VIP section on the night of Oct. 31, 2008, during a Halloween party at Cameo Theatre in Miami Beach. From left to right are Eric Moncur, Shapiro, Gavin Hardin and Randy Phillips.
Nevin Shapiro on Hardin: Play audio
Miami booster Nevin Shapiro alleges he provided extra benefits to Gavin Hardin during the player's brief career with the Hurricanes. Among the benefits he claimed to have provided:
- Gavin Hardin
Position: Inside linebacker
Rivals recruiting rank: Ranked as the No. 37 inside linebacker in the Class of 2008.
Miami career: Hardin moved to the defensive line and spent his freshman season on the scout team. He received a medical hardship and left the team in 2009. He is currently out of football.
• Food, drinks and entertainment at Shapiro's $6 million Miami Beach mansion.
• Pool tournaments for cash in Shapiro's home.
• Drinks and VIP access in nightclubs. On one such night, Shapiro said he was accompanied by Hardin, Eric Moncur and Randy Phillips to a Halloween party at Miami Beach's Cameo Theatre. Shapiro said he attended the party dressed as the character "Brad 'B-Rad' Gluckman" from the movie "Malibu's Most Wanted." The booster said Hardin, Moncur and Phillips were dressed as the bodyguard characters from the movie, and that the foursome racked up a bill "in the thousands" on drinks in their VIP area.
• Drinks and VIP access at nightclubs on multiple occasions. One such occasion was an October 2008 night after a home loss to Florida State, in which the booster took Hardin and others to Cameo Theater.
• Yahoo! Sports acquired a copy of statements from Shapiro's American Express black card showing a $2,000 charge from Cameo Theatre on Nov. 1, 2008. The charges were carried over from the night of Oct. 31.
• Yahoo! Sports acquired Shapiro's October 2008 credit card statement, showing a charge to Cameo Theater the night of that season's home loss to Florida State.
• Yahoo! Sports acquired a photo of Shapiro with Hardin, Phillips and Moncur which the booster said was taken at Cameo during the Halloween party, showing the four men dressed in their costumes.
In Shapiro's words
• "Gavin Hardin was one of Randy Phillips' like little brothers. He ended up in a medical hardship situation. I think Gavin was from Memphis. He was a really sweet kid. I liked the kid a lot. He was at my house, played in pool tournaments, was out at the clubs with us a number of times. [He] was always with Randy. Actually, I have a picture of him, Eric Moncur and Randy, Halloween 2008. They acted as my bodyguards. I was [the character from the movie] 'Mailbu’s Most Wanted' – B-Rad."
This page from Nevin Shapiro's October 2008 American Express black card statement shows a $2,000 charge to Miami Beach nightclub Cameo Theatre, for alcohol the booster charged in his VIP section with Hurricanes players Randy Phillips, Gavin Hardin and Eric Moncur. It matches up with a Halloween party Shapiro said he attended with the three players. Yahoo! Sports also has a photo taken that night of Shapiro with the three players. PDF file
This page from Shapiro's October 2008 American Express Platinum card statement shows a charge of $1,610.51 which the booster identified as a tab for alcohol in his VIP section at Cameo following Miami's home loss to Florida State that season. Shapiro said he entertained at least five players in his section that night, including Robert Marve, Randy Phillips, Jacory Harris, Dedrick Epps and Gavin Hardin. PDF file
Could not be reached by phone for comment and voicemail was full.