U.S. Soccer president resigns in fallout of misogynistic legal filing against USWNT

Jack BaerWriter
Yahoo Sports

U.S. Soccer president Carlos Cordeiro announced his resignation Thursday in the wake of a misogynistic legal argument filed by the organization in its equal pay battle with the United States women’s national team.

Essentially, the federation argued that women have less “ability” than men at soccer and should therefore be paid less. Calling the argument “unacceptable and inexcusable,” Cordeiro said he did not properly review the filing before its submission.

U.S. Soccer vice president Cindy Parlow Cone will replace Cordeiro as president.

Molly Levinson, a spokeswoman for the USWNT, responded strongly to the news:

Incredibly enough, Cordeiro had reportedly not even told the U.S. Soccer communications staff that he was announcing his resignation, according to the Associated Press.

Heavy blowback for U.S. Soccer’s misstep against USWNT

Cordeiro had previously apologized for the filing Wednesday evening, lamenting “the offense and pain caused by language in this week's court filing” and pledging to alter the federation’s legal strategy.

On the same day, the USWNT appeared to respond to the filing by taking the field at the SheBelieves Cup with their warm-up jerseys inside out, an apparent rebuke of the U.S. Soccer logo.

Some high-profile former members of the team were more explicit in their condemnation.

Additionally, a number of U.S. Soccer sponsors released statements backing the players, including The Coca-Cola Co., Anheuser Busch Cos. Inc., The Procter & Gamble Co. and Volkswagen Group.

Carlos Cordeiro is taking responsibility for U.S. Soccer's shocking legal filing. (Photo by Ira L. Black/Corbis via Getty Images)
Carlos Cordeiro is taking responsibility for U.S. Soccer's shocking legal filing. (Photo by Ira L. Black/Corbis via Getty Images)

More from Yahoo Sports:

What to Read Next