Andre Deveaux saga ends as Swedish authorities decide to drop investigation into pre-game attack

Nearly four months after it began, the Andre Deveaux saga has finally come to an end.

In an email to the National Post, Swedish prosecutor Margareta Danielsson-Olvon said her office has “decided to drop the case … The suspect has left the country and is not expected to return here.”

In March, the 31-year old Deveaux, playing for Rogle of Sweden’s HockeyAllSvenskan, viciously slashed Vasteras defenseman Per Helmersson during warmups before a playoff game betweent the two sides. The attack went unnoticed by officials and Deveaux played the final two games in the series. Helmersson wasn’t injured and played as well.

Asked afterward whether he regretted his actions, Deveaux replied, “No. [Helmersson] played on. He was fine. I'll think about him while I celebrate with the team.”

Once video surfaced, Rogle quickly announced they had terminated Deveaux’s contract and soon thereafter authorities issued a warrant (something Deveaux denies) for his arrest on suspicion of assult. He was later banned by the Swedish Hockey Association until Feb. 2016.

Deveaux held a May press conference in Toronto defending his actions, claiming he had been suffering from the effects of a concussion suffered in the game prior to the attack at the hands of Helmersson. “I’m out there with a serious injury and guys are telling me they’re going to do it again. At some point my safety has to become a priority,” he said “I’ve been around the block and I know the difference between chirping and threatening.”

Later that month, Deveaux took part in Jumpstart Day in Welland, Ontario, an event held to raise money to help families with the costs of organized sports. He said he was still recovering from the concussion, but isn’t ready to say goodbye to hockey just yet.

“We'll see. When I get cleared I'll start training again, but it's going to be awhile before I can play,” he said. “I see myself being back on the ice, it's just when and where.”

UPDATE: Here's a statement from Deveaux:

“I fully cooperated with authorities throughout this entire ordeal, despite the unfair process and inaccurate reporting by the Swedish media. I am happy that the prosecutor made the right decision today.

"I was always confident that this investigation would go nowhere. It was unwarranted, particularly given the facts. I now look forward to Rogle BK living up to their obligations.

"My wife, Anya, and I are grateful for the outpouring of support we have received in Canada.”