Michigan pulls offer from longtime recruit weeks before signing day

Dr. Saturday

Michigan’s first commitment from the 2016 class has parted ways with the Wolverines.

Erik Swenson, a four-star offensive lineman who has been committed to Michigan since Nov. 25, 2013, wrote on Twitter that he was opening up his recruitment “due to unforeseen circumstances.”

Scroll to continue with content
Ad

Swenson told MLive.com via text message that Michigan recently pulled his scholarship offer and cancelled a previously scheduled official visit. He also told the website the school did not provide a reason for the change of heart.

Swenson committed to the program under former Michigan coach Brady Hoke. He was the last remaining player who committed under that regime to still have a commitment with current coach Jim Harbaugh. Linebacker Dele' Harding and quarterback Messiah deWeaver, previous Hoke recruits from the 2016 class, already decommitted.

According to Rivals.com, Michigan and Swenson had “been moving toward a mutual split for several weeks now.”

Swenson, who is 6-foot-5, 300 pounds, is ranked No. 15 among offensive linemen nationally, according to Rivals.com, and the No. 2 player in the state of Illinois. He previously had offers from Alabama, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Virginia Tech, Illinois and Northwestern.

Michigan has 22 total commitments for the 2016 class with two weeks remaining before signing day. Included in that group are offensive linemen Ben Bredeson, Michael Onwenu and Devery Hamilton, who are all four-star recruits.

For more Michigan news, visit TheWolverine.com.

- - - - - - -

Graham Watson is the editor of Dr. Saturday on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email her at dr.saturday@ymail.com or follow her on Twitter!

And don’t forget to keep up with all of Graham’s thoughts, witty comments and college football discussions on Facebook

What to Read Next