Dwight Howard and Kobe Bryant watched the Lakers get off to a tough start to the season. (AP)
Los Angeles Lakers fans were in a panic after Kobe Bryant and his teammates lost their first three games. The Oklahoma City Thunder also had reason to wonder if they'd made a mistake by trading James Harden. Fans of the Milwaukee Bucks and Orlando Magic might already be dreaming of the NBA playoffs.
Yes, it was a strange opening week to the NBA season. One thing, however, didn't change: The defending champion Miami Heat remain atop Yahoo! Sports Power Rankings. Records are through Sunday's games.
1. Miami Heat (2-1, previous ranking: first): Ray Allen saved the Heat against Denver with a late four-point play. Brooklyn Nets will give the Heat a good test on Wednesday.
2. San Antonio Spurs (3-0, previous ranking: sixth): Tony Parker's buzzer-beater gave the Spurs a nice win over Oklahoma City. Victory over Utah didn’t come easy either.
3. New York Knicks (2-0, previous ranking: ninth): The Knicks are off to one of their best starts in years because of dependable 3-point shooting, solid performance from role players and Carmelo Anthony's scoring.
4. Los Angeles Clippers (2-1, previous ranking: fifth): Give the Clippers a pass on Golden State loss after big Lakers win night before.
5. Oklahoma City Thunder (1-2, previous ranking: second): Home loss to an Atlanta team missing Josh Smith? Looks like the Thunder are dealing with some chemistry issues after trading James Harden. That includes arguing on the court.
6. Brooklyn Nets (1-0, previous ranking: 10th): The Nets' first game in Brooklyn was a victory, but there was also bad news as starting small forward Gerald Wallace sprained his ankle.
7. Los Angeles Lakers (1-3, previous ranking: third): Lakers are a work in progress and losing Steve Nash to a leg injury didn’t help.
8. Boston Celtics (1-2, previous ranking: fourth): Celtics won’t say it, but they're missing Ray Allen.
9. Milwaukee Bucks (2-0, previous ranking: 17th): Brandon Jennings playing with an edge after not getting a contract extension.
10. Memphis Grizzlies (1-1, previous ranking: 11th): The Grizzlies earned a tough win at Golden State last week after losing their opener against the Clippers.
11. Philadelphia 76ers (1-1, previous ranking: 12th): The Sixers are still waiting on the debut of Andrew Bynum – and for Evan Turner to help replace Andre Iguodala’s scoring.
12. Dallas Mavericks (2-1, previous ranking: 15th): Backcourt of Darren Collison and O.J. Mayo playing well enough to help make up for the scoring loss of Dirk Nowitzki.
13. Portland Trail Blazers (2-1, previous ranking: 20th): Rookie point guard Damian Lillard and LaMarcus Aldridge are already looking comfortable together.
14. Chicago Bulls (2-1, previous ranking: 13th): Loss at home to a Hornets team missing Anthony Davis hurt.
15. Atlanta Hawks (1-1, previous ranking: 16th): Tough week with games against Indiana and Miami.
16. Houston Rockets (2-1, previous ranking: 26th): James Harden looks like he could challenge for the NBA's scoring title, but he needs to get his teammates more involved.
17. Orlando Magic (2-0, previous ranking: 28th): Who needs Dwight Howard? New Magic coach Jacque Vaughn doesn’t when he’s getting strong contributions from J.J. Redick and Glen Davis.
18. Golden State Warriors (2-1, previous ranking: 22nd): With Andrew Bogut working off rust, Carl Landry has played strong. Rookie Harrison Barnes needs to step up his game.
19. New Orleans Hornets (2-1, previous ranking: 27th): Credit coach Monty Williams for getting the Hornets to play well, even after losing Davis.
20. Indiana Pacers (2-1, previous ranking: eighth): Big drop for the Pacers after losing to the Charlotte Bobcats on opening night.
21. Cleveland Cavaliers (1-1, previous ranking: 24th):
In the midst of six-game road trip that includes visits to the Clippers, Oklahoma City and Brooklyn, the Cavs have a lot of miles in their immediate future.
COMMENTARY | In an era where the WWE is the only major professional wrestling company in the United States, it's rare that a big-name free agent hits the market. On Dec. 16, former TNA Champion AJ Styles confirmed that he is no longer under contract to the company. "Today for the first time in 11…
You’ll recall that right before the 2013 playoffs started, the San Antonio Spurs surprisingly released swingman Stephen Jackson. The journeyman small forward was a pivotal member of the team’s 2003 championship turn, and had played well during San Antonio’s three-round … Continue reading →
COMMENTARY | The Rajon Rondo rumors probably won't stop until after the trade deadline. The star point guard has yet to take the floor for the Boston Celtics this season, but his name has been thrown around in plenty of trade rumors. Publicly, Danny Ainge has maintained that he intends to keep…
Boris Becker once shared a bitter rivalry with Ivan Lendl across the net and now the two former world number ones will try to outwit each other from courtside after the German's shock appointment as coach to Novak Djokovic. After Djokovic was named ITF World Champion for 2013, despite being…
After 75 years of thoroughbred racing, Betfair Hollywood Park is closing for good. The 260-acre track that hosted Seabiscuit and the first Breeders' Cup in 1984 will be turned into a housing and retail development starting next year.
They don't call it "The Voice" for nothin'. It was a big ole battle of the multi-octave divas on Monday's final "Voice" Season 5 showdown, as the remarkable Tessanne Chin took on Whitney Houston's near-untouchable "I Have Nothing," and then pint-sized powerhouse Jacquie Lee belted Jennifer…
UFC officials on Tuesday announced that UFC Fight Night 33 main eventer Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva was suspended for nine months and would forfeit his $50,000 Fight of the Night bonus. Silva tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone for his Dec. 7 bout with Mark Hunt in Brisbane, Australia.…
The feud between Seattle and San Francisco has quickly become one of the most heated in the NFL. Most of the conversation between fans comes back to the 49ers fans reminding Seahawks fans they've never won a Super Bowl. The … Continue reading →
The New York Yankees were hit with a $28 million luxury tax bill, pushing their total past the $250 million mark since the penalty began in 2003. According to Major League Baseball calculations sent to teams Tuesday, the Los Angeles Dodgers were the only other team that exceeded the tax threshold…
Thinking ahead is a necessity in fantasy football. By the conclusion of Monday night, owners need to immediately turn their thoughts to roster maintenance so as to account for the ever-changing NFL landscape. Injuries, depth chart fluctuations and upcoming matchups need to be mulled in an effort to…
“I think that everyone knows their right timing and their moment they’re living and we’ve got to respect Georges St-Pierre for everything that he’s done in this sport,” Silva told MMAWeekly.com on Tuesday. “If he feels that this is the correct time, we’ve got to respect him.”
Chris Kaman has played just 12 minutes in the last month with the Los Angeles Lakers, and those were only mop up minutes performed in extended garbage time in a Laker loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder last week. The … Continue reading →
A three-pronged investigation will take place into alleged state aid for several La Liga clubs, including Real Madrid and Barcelona, the European Commission said on Wednesday. Athletic Bilbao are one of the teams alleged by a representative of "several European clubs", in a complaint filed in…
Tricia Drummond opened her eyes, staring at a group of people that were staring down at her. She wasn’t sure how she ended up on the Verizon Center floor. She didn’t know why she was bleeding, because she didn’t feel … Continue reading →
By Mary Wisniewski CHICAGO (Reuters) - The Chicago-area mansion belonging to American basketball star and NBA franchise owner Michael Jordan goes up for auction on Monday, according to a real estate auction house. The 56,000-square-foot (5,200 square-meter) home on more than seven acres in the…