The U.S. Open's decision to move the men's championship match to Monday next year in place of the traditional Sunday final has drawn sharp opposition from the players. In a statement issued Monday, the ATP rebuked the plan, saying the players made it clear to the United States Tennis Association that they're not in favor. "We strongly believe the U.S. Open should keep a similar schedule to the other Grand Slams, with the men's semifinals completed by Friday and the final on Sunday," the ATP said in the statement. "It is unfortunate the U.S. Open response did not reflect our views on this issue and the ATP and its players will continue to pursue this matter in its discussions with the USTA." The USTA announced schedule changes Friday that include moving the women's semifinals to Friday afternoon and keeping the men's semis on Saturday, saying it was responding to player complaints that the semifinals and final were on back-to-back days. The 2013 women's and men's finals are scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 7, and Monday, Sept. 9. The ATP also said Monday that the prize money increase for next year's U.S. Open, which was announced Friday, should be greater than the $4 million boost over last year's purse to $29.5 million in 2013.
- Sports & Recreation