More in this article:
Nevin Shapiro on McCarthy: Play audio
- Position: Linebacker
- Rivals recruiting rank: Ranked as the No. 24 linebacker in the Class of 2006.
- Miami career: A four-year contributor and three-year starter for the Hurricanes, McCarthy developed into one of the most steady linebackers in the country. He was selected by the Tennessee Titans in the fourth round of the 2011 NFL draft.
Colin McCarthy was one of dozens of Hurricanes players named by Nevin Shapiro in recorded interviews with federal agents. During those interviews, the booster admitted supplying benefits to an array of Miami players from 2002 to 2010. Shapiro alleges he provided multiple extra benefits to McCarthy during the player's career with the Hurricanes. Among the benefits he claims to have provided:
• Provided food, drinks and entertainment at Shapiro's $6 million mansion on multiple occasions.
• Played in pool tournaments for cash at Shapiro's home.
• Provided VIP access and drinks at nightclubs on at least one occasion.
In Shapiro's words
• "He was at my house maybe three or four times. Maybe even a little bit more than that. He went to the clubs with us one or two times, but he was involved in that pool tournament for cash at my house."
Did not respond to a Facebook message.