September 22, 2011
Unless you're from South Dakota, or a diehard South Dakota fan, you probably have no idea who Ed Meierkort is. But by the end of this interview about his team's upcoming trip to Wisconsin, you'll definitely appreciate his candor.
Meet South Dakota coach Ed Meierkort.
• Meirkort is a big fan of Wisconsin quarterback Russell Wilson: "I'm gonna ask the quarterback for his autograph, I think he might win the Heisman Trophy."
• He knows his team has little chance to win the game: "I will say there's a little apprehension because we want to do well. This team can put a big number on us. They beat a conference team last year 84-6. It's a little intimidating . … Someone needs to get in this team's way, too. They've been kicking everybody's rear ends for the last month. We'll get in the way."
• Even though South Dakota defeated Minnesota last year, Meierkort notes, "This isn't the Golden Gophers, this is the Badgers. It's a different gig we're getting into."
• He notes the Badgers are playing with a lot of moxie: "Their confidence level is ridiculous right now. They just beat Northern Illinois, a very good team, like children, 49-6, and it wasn't that close."
• He does hope Wisconsin is overlooking his team: "Fortunately, they probably are going to take us a little lightly because they do play Nebraska next week. That will help us a little bit."
South Dakota won't win this game, heck, the Badgers will probably put the big number Meierkort expects on his team, but at least postgame will be entertaining.