November 10, 2010
On Monday night, the Cincinnati Bengals lost their 200th game since Mike Brown took over as owner and president in 1991. According to Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer, that's the quickest an NFL owner has ever reached that mark. Brown's Bengals are 113-200-1 over the past 20 seasons.
1. It took 314 games for Brown to lose 200. The previous record, Reedy notes, was held by the original owner of the Atlanta Falcons, Rankin Smith, who did it in 327 games. (The third-shortest road to 200 losses was by Art Rooney of the Steelers, which is a pretty big surprise considering Pittsburgh has the most Super Bowl titles).
2. The Jacksonville Jaguars and Carolina Panthers began playing in 1995, but both franchises have more wins than Mike Brown has had, despite the fact they've been playing for four fewer seasons. Jacksonville has 129 franchise victories, Carolina has 118.
3. Brown's teams haven't won a playoff game during his tenure. Every other team that has existed since 1991 has won at least one postseason game. (The last playoff win for Cincinnati was in 1990, the year before Brown took over. The Texans haven't won a playoff game, but they only joined the league in 2002.)
4. The team has finished over .500 twice since 1991.
5. Twice is also the amount of times Cincinnati has made the playoffs in Brown's 20 seasons at the helm. (We're assuming the 2-6 Bengals don't make it this year.) The Detroit Lions have made it six times in that stretch.
6. In those 20 years, the Bengals have ranked in the top 10 on offense or defense just five times. They've been ranked No. 22 or below 18 times.
7. The Bengals have been outscored by 1,488 points during Brown's reign. They've only outscored opponents in five of Brown's full 19 seasons.
8. Brown was the fastest to 200 losses, but the slowest to 100 wins. It took the team 288 games to get to the century mark, the slowest in NFL history.
9. Since 1991 there have been 13 times when an NFL team began the season 0-8. The Bengals have done it four of those times.
10. The Bengals have had a winless October in eight of Brown's 20 seasons. His teams started 0-21 in the month before getting its first win in the month on Oct. 19, 1995.
Posted Jul 2 2012
Posted Jul 3 2012
Posted Jun 21 2012