On Braves’ lonely pain, the spoils of Miggy’s next Triple Crown, Rafael Soriano’s talented 4-year-old and lush third baseman trees.
The rankings (records through Wednesday):
1. St. Louis Cardinals (30-16; Previous: 2) – Man City to play Chelsea in an exhibition at Busch III. La Russa suggests batting goaltender eighth.
2. Texas Rangers (30-17; Previous: 3) – When Pierzynski had to go to disabled list, police had difficulty narrowing list of suspects.
3. Atlanta Braves (28-18; Previous: 5) – New clubhouse thing is T-shirts that read “Suffer in Silence.” Better than original idea: “Suffer in Succotash.”
4. New York Yankees (28-18; Previous: 9) – Yankees reveal mix-up: Rivera not technically retiring, he’s being promoted to higher league.
5. Cincinnati Reds (29-18; Previous: 12) – Chapman reportedly gorges self on pastries, then blows save, loses game. Apparently couldn’t resist that creamy Phillie-ing.
Read More »from MLB Power Rankings: Cards at top of the deck
6. Pittsburgh Pirates (28-18; Previous: 11) – Bullpen goes by nickname “Shark Tank.”