In a press conference the day before, Trump said: “If you take the blue states out, we’re at a level that I don’t think anybody in the world would be at.”
“The Late Show” host called the president’s spin “unspeakably monstrous.”
“This is like being asked to speak at a funeral and saying, ‘We’re here to mourn the passing of Kevin, but if you take him out of the equation, it’s a pretty good party!’” Colbert cracked.
The comedian said Trump was dead wrong, noting that states with the highest mortality count happen to have the largest populations, and that infection rates are currently high in “states that Trump won.”
Colbert emphasized his point with a joke about Trump taking middle schoolers to the sausage factory. Stick around for that one below.
A HuffPost Guide To Coronavirus
- Get the latest coronavirus updates here.
- What will life be like once a coronavirus vaccine arrives?
- Everything you need to know about face masks right now.
- What should you still be disinfecting to prevent COVID-19?
- Is it possible you had coronavirus earlier this year?
- Constantly arguing with your partner about coronavirus risks? You are not alone.
Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.
This article originally appeared on HuffPost and has been updated.