Mike Oz

  • Why Yankees GM Brian Cashman spent the night on the street

    Mike Oz at Big League Stew 2 hrs ago

    Temperatures hit an overnight low of 27 degrees in New York City on Thursday, so Yankees general manager Brian Cashman bundled up in layers, put a beanie over his head and tried his best to stay warm. If Cashman were lucky, he might just get a couple hours of sleep — though the solid concrete under his body would make that tough.

    For Cashman, this was one night. For some people, this is life. Every day.

    So Cashman spent his night helping out in an unusual way. He was one of hundreds of executives nationwide who participated in the annual "Sleep Out" organized by Covenant House, sleeping on the streets of Manhattan as if he were homeless. Covenant House is a non-profit that manages shelters for homeless youth in 21 cities across the country. Last year, it helped more than 57,000 kids.

    Your browser does not support iframes.

    Cashman told MLB.com that $1.6 million was raised in New York on Thursday, a big chunk of about $5 million raised nationally.

    More MLB coverage from Yahoo Sports:

    - - - - - - -

  • Oscar Taveras' family uses his Twitter to share fan tributes

    Mike Oz at Big League Stew 4 hrs ago

    The family of St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Oscar Taveras, who died last month at age 22 in a car accident in the Dominican Republic, has started using his Twitter account as a digital memorial.

    On Thursday night, an unidentified family member told the public that Taveras' account would be used to share fan tributes that had been sent to them.

    The family simply wished to offer its thanks, they said. For the rest of us, it's an interesting look at how fans mourn a dead ballplayer — particularly one who didn't have a long MLB career, but created a very memorable moment for Cardinals fans.

    This is how Taveras' family started it off:

    More MLB coverage from Yahoo Sports:

  • Dodgers get reliever Joel Peralta in four-player trade with Rays

    Mike Oz at Big League Stew 4 hrs ago

    The Los Angeles Dodgers, who have spent the last year trying to build a stable bullpen, went out and acquired a relief pitcher Thursday that new boss Andrew Friedman knows well.

    Joel Peralta, the veteran right-hander, is joining the Dodgers after being shipped across the country in a four-player trade with the Tampa Bay Rays. Friedman, who became the Dodgers' president of baseball operations in October, was the GM of the Rays all four years Peralta played there.

    Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times sizes up the particulars on Peralta

    Peralta, who turns 39 in March, has pitched in 69 or more games in each of the last four seasons. He led the major leagues with 80 appearances in 2013, when he posted a 3.71 earned-run average. Peralta is under contract next year for $2.5 million. His deal includes $2.5-million team options for 2016 and 2017. 

    In return, the Rays get two pitchers too: Jose Dominguez, who can pump the radar gun up to 103 mph but has a 6.14 career ERA in 14 appearances, and Greg Harris, a 20-year-old who pitched in Single-A in 2014.

  • The Red Sox will look brilliant if they can lure back Jon Lester

    Mike Oz at Big League Stew 10 hrs ago

    It always seemed like such a novel idea: If you're a team not in contention and you have a star who's going to be a free agent after the season but wants to stay, why not trade him and then sign him again a few months later? 

    You get a prize in return at the sacrifice of a few meaningless months. What's there to lose? The two sides shake hands, agree this is only temporary and plan for better things in the following year.

    It's devious, somewhat conniving and glorious on a "House of Cards" sort of level.

    That's not exactly what's happening with the Boston Red Sox and Jon Lester, there’s a little more nuance than that. But the Red Sox are in the rare situation where they could re-sign their traded-away star and put him in the same lineup as the guy they got in return, outfielder Yoenis Cespedes.

    Was he really that upset with the Red Sox? Or was the whole thing blown out of proportion?

    More MLB coverage from Yahoo Sports:

    - - - - - - -

  • Brace yourself for Guy Fieri's mullet at a 2000 Giants game

    Mike Oz at Big League Stew 12 hrs ago

    Hey @gewqk were you diggin through my family photos? #tbt to 2000 watchin the @SFGiants pic.twitter.com/jhppB51Rs5

    Guy Fieri turned Throwback Thursday into Party-in-the-Back Thursday by sharing a picture of his mulleted self at a San Francisco Giants game in 2000.

    It figures that Fieri, the prolific Food Network host, once had a mullet. It makes perfect sense, actually. We'd just never imagined it before.

    Alternate versions of Guy Fieri's hair are a hot topic on the Internet this week. Buzzfeed posted an image of what Fieri might look like with a different hairdo and it attacked trending-topic lists far and wide.

    By 2030, he might even catch up with current trends.

    More MLB coverage from Yahoo Sports:

    - - - - - - -

  • Jose Canseco lied to us all about his finger falling off

    Mike Oz at Big League Stew 14 hrs ago

    Like many things on the Internet, some of what shows up on Jose Canseco's Twitter feed is too good to be true.

    A perfect example is that made-to-grab-headlines moment last week when Canseco said his reattached finger fell off during a poker tournament.

    Turns out Canseco made it up. It was a hoax, he admitted to TMZ Sports, inspired by Halloween. Canseco shooting off his finger isn't a hoax — at least as far as we know. But that odd Chapter Two, when it supposedly fell off and was caught on camera? Never happened.

    Per TMZ Sports:

    Canseco had Tweeted a picture of his detached finger, but he's since deleted it. And he's been quiet on Twitter for almost a day. You gotta figure he's up to something.

  • Keith Olbermann says Giancarlo Stanton's contract is a scam

    Mike Oz at Big League Stew 16 hrs ago

    "Another Marlins scam."

    In no uncertain terms, ESPN commentator and noted baseball fan Keith Olbermann gave us his opinion on Giancarlo Stanton's new $325 million mega contract with the Miami Marlins. It's another of Olbermann's scathing sports rants, which are always fun, and this time he's throwing haymakers at one of baseball's top punching bags — Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria.

    There's no shortage of skepticism about Loria and the Marlins, given their history of promising better days ahead and then fire-selling at the first glimpse of trouble. Yahoo Sports' Tim Brown and Jeff Passan have each written columns in the past week wary of Stanton's commitment to the Marlins. Brown says the contract is a one-man trust fall. Passan writes that Stanton's playing a dangerous game by trusting Loria.

    More MLB coverage from Yahoo Sports:

  • MLB owners give new commish Rob Manfred a five-year contract

    Mike Oz at Big League Stew 17 hrs ago

    The Rob Manfred era is almost upon us, and MLB owners agreed Thursday that the league's new commissioner will get a five-year contract as he begins his job.

    Manfred takes over for Bud Selig on Jan. 25, but before that happens there was a little issue of his contract, which was decided at the two-day owners' meetings in Kansas City, Mo.

    Manfred's five-year contract — two more than the minimum three-year deal a commissioner can get — was unanimously approved.

    His contract vote was handled "quickly and quietly," according to Eric Fisher of Sports Business Journal. That's in contrast to Manfred's election, which took longer and was more contentious, as a segment of owners led by Jerry Reinsdorf of the Chicago White Sox didn't back Manfred. He received the exact number of votes needed for the job: 23.

    More MLB coverage from Yahoo Sports:

    - - - - - - -

  • The A's are already making Billy Butler feel welcome

    Mike Oz at Big League Stew 1 day ago

    Welcome to Oakland, Billy Butler, where the A's are usually a fun bunch of ballplayers.

    News broke Tuesday night that the A's had inked Butler to a three-year, $30 million deal, a nice sum for the ex-Kansas City Royals designated hitter, who's coming off a disappointing season. 

    On Wednesday, the A's made the deal official, as GM Billy Beane told reporters he expects Butler to play first base as well as DH, and give Oakland a better righty bat in the middle of the batting order.

    Meanwhile, other factions of the A's operation were busy making Butler feel welcome too. The A's social media team made this clever Vine about Butler, who is nicknamed Country Breakfast.

    More MLB coverage from Yahoo Sports:

    - - - - - - -

  • Giancarlo Stanton celebrates mega deal with $20K champagne

    Mike Oz at Big League Stew 1 day ago

    Giancarlo Stanton, sipper of $20,000 champagne, shows us his duck face. (USA TODAY Sports)

    How does an athlete celebrate a $325 million contract, the richest in American sports history? It's not like there's precedent for such a thing. No single athlete has ever agreed to a contract as large as the one Giancarlo Stanton signed with the Miami Marlins.

    Keep this in mind: He's 25, he plays in Miami and now he's super rich. That's a recipe for a party.

    Well, Stanton was spotted at Miami hot spot FDR at the Delano Hotel late Monday night/early Tuesday morning with a huge bottle of rare champagne worth $20,000. And get this: the guy who just signed a $325 million contract didn't even pay for the bubbly. Of course, he didn't. Some people have all the luck.

    Seriously, did we say some guys have all the luck?

    What does Giancarlo Stanton do? Send someone a thank-you car ?

    - - - - - - -