More in this article:
Nevin Shapiro on Telemaque: Play audio
Miami booster Nevin Shapiro alleges he provided extra benefits to Vaughn Telemaque during his career with the Hurricanes. Among the benefits he claimed to have provided:
- Vaughn Telemaque
Rivals recruiting rank: Ranked as the No. 171 player overall in the Class of 2008.
Miami career: An instant impact player as a freshman, Telemaque heads into his junior season with a wealth of starting experience. He is expected to be a standout on this season’s defense and is already on the radar of NFL scouting departments.
• Food, drinks and entertainment at Shapiro's $6 million Miami Beach mansion.
• Pool tournaments for cash at Shapiro's home.
• Drinks and VIP access at nightclubs on multiple occasions.
In Shapiro's words
• "Vaughn Telemaque was one of Randy Phillips' friends. He was at the house a number of times and in the clubs with us. [He] played pool with us in the house when I would put [on] pool tournaments and put some cash in the pockets."
• "He was a really nice kid. Quiet California [attitude]. Laid back. Chill dude. But he was around a number of times."
Nevin Shapiro's cell phone providers condensed his calling records from 2002 to 2008 and deleted the booster's text messaging records prior to 2009. Despite a significant portion of his records being expunged, Yahoo! Sports was able to identify 11 calls or texts between Shapiro and Vaughn Telemaque from September 2009 to February 2010. This is a page showing communication between the booster and a phone number linked to Telemaque. PDF file
When reached by Yahoo! Sports, Telemaque denied knowing who Shapiro was. When made aware that Yahoo! Sports had identified at least 11 calls or texts between Shapiro and Telemaque's phone, the player said he was unaware of who he had been communicating with. “I don’t have his number saved," Telemaque said. "I don’t know who is calling from it. It doesn’t ring a bell man.”