Women's Champions League qualifying: Celtic suffer shootout exit as Glasgow City progress

Glasgow City's Lauren Davidson and Brenna Lovera celebrate
Lauren Davidson and Brenna Lovera scored against Shelbourne and Gintra

Glasgow City reached the Women's Champions League play-off round with a convincing win over Gintra, but Celtic missed out after a dramatic penalty shootout against Valerenga.

Scottish champions City eased aside Lithuanian counterparts Gintra 3-0, with goals coming from Brenna Lovera, Kenzie Weir and Lauren Davidson.

It looked like current SWPL leaders Celtic would join them when Jenny Smith fired the visitors 2-1 ahead deep into stoppage time in Oslo.

However, Elise Thorsnes equalised moments later from the penalty spot and, after 21 more perfect penalties in the shoot-out, Celtic goalkeeper Kelsey Daugherty had hers saved by opposite number Guro Pettersen.

It means it will be Valerenga, one of the 14 hosts of the four-team mini tournaments, who will join City in the draw for two-legged second-round play-offs for the right to reach the main group stage.

Oh so close for Celtic

The game in Oslo started in breath-taking fashion with two goals in the opening eight minutes.

Midfielder Olaug Tvedten fired low past Daugherty from 25 yards after only four minutes.

However, Celtic were back level when Amy Gallacher showed strength and touch to slip in striker Kit Loferski to fire past goalkeeper Guro Pettersen.

Both sides had penalty claims denied, while substitute Celtic defender Tiree Burchill had the ball in the net only to be ruled offside.

However, Valerenga had the better of the chances in normal time and only several fine saves from Daugherty kept the scoreline level.

Celtic thought they had scored in extra time when a Caitlin Hayes header was turned towards goal by Chloe Craig, but Valerenga somehow hacked it off the line.

Smith, Celtic's midfield summer signing from Heart of Midlothian, looked to have won it deep into extra time when she fired home from a Murphy Agnew cutback.

Seconds later, though, a foul from defender Caitlin Hayes gave Norway striker Thorsnes the opportunity to equalise from the resulting penalty after which she and her team-mates' prowess from the spot to secure the victory.

Clinical City ease through

It took City only 45 seconds to inch ahead in Siauliai as striker Lovera, who opened the scoring in Tuesday's 2-0 semi-final win over Shelbourne, connected with a fine near-post flick from winger Cori Sullivan's low cross.

Centre-half Weir headed the second - her first senior goal - from close range from a Mairead Fulton corner and, after the break, goalkeeper Adrianna Schroeder let a long-range strike from winger Davidson, who also scored against Brondby, squirm under her body to settle the game.

In a grim midfield battle of few chances, A-Lyga winners Gintra rarely looked like staging a comeback, with midfielder Rachel Diodati's thundering free-kick that flew just wide from 25 yards at 2-0 the only moment of threat from the side who defeat Cardiff City 2-0 in their semi-final.

Glasgow City head coach Leanne Ross: "I was really pleased with the way we started. Getting that goal in the first minutes settled us down.

"The pitch wasn't in great condition, but once we got to grips with that, we controlled the game from start to finish."