Wife: Ex-Red Sox slugger Ortiz recovering from 3rd surgery

The Associated Press
FILE - In this Sept. 30, 2016, file photo, Boston Red Sox's David Ortiz speaks during a news conference before a baseball game against the Toronto Blue Jays at Fenway Park, in Boston. Officials say Ortiz, who was shot in the Dominican Republic on June 9, 2019, at an outdoor cafe, was the victim of incompetent criminals who were trying to kill a man next to him. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola, File)
FILE - In this Sept. 30, 2016, file photo, Boston Red Sox's David Ortiz speaks during a news conference before a baseball game against the Toronto Blue Jays at Fenway Park, in Boston. Officials say Ortiz, who was shot in the Dominican Republic on June 9, 2019, at an outdoor cafe, was the victim of incompetent criminals who were trying to kill a man next to him. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola, File)

BOSTON (AP) -- Former Red Sox slugger David Ortiz is recovering from a third surgery after experiencing complications resulting from his gunshot wound.

Ortiz's wife, Tiffany, says in a statement Thursday that he is ''recovering well and in good spirits.'' He had the surgery earlier this week at Massachusetts General Hospital.

Ortiz was shot in the back at a bar in the Dominican Republic last month. Dominican police have said he was mistaken for another man who was sitting near him at the club.

Scroll to continue with content
Ad

Police say a suspected drug trafficker offered to pay $30,000 for the shooting.

Police say they've arrested 14 people in the case, including the suspected gunman, and are searching for others.

---

More AP MLB: https://apnews.com/MLB and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports

What to Read Next