Westmont Hilltop, Greater Johnstown basketball teams adapt to PIAA site change due to water pressure issue

Mar. 12—JOHNSTOWN, Pa. — The Westmont Hilltop girls and Greater Johnstown boys basketball teams had to make some unexpected adjustments on Tuesday afternoon, hours before a scheduled PIAA tournament doubleheader in Westmoreland County.

District 6 Committee member Mike Hudak alerted the schools and media of the change in venue for the second-round state playoff contests due to what he described as a water pressure issue at Hempfield Area High School, the original site of the doubleheader.

Instead, District 6 Class 3A runner-up Westmont Hilltop girls will play District 7 sixth-place Seton-LaSalle at 6 p.m. at Charleroi High School. The District 6-4A champion Greater Johnstown boys team will play District 7 runner-up Hampton at 7:30 p.m. in the second half of the doubleheader.

For GPS purposes, Hudak noted Charleroi High School's address is 100 Fecsen Drive, Charleroi, Pa. 15022.

"It's just been a whirlwind trying to communicate with our coaches, our players, their families and our community," said Greater Johnstown Athletic Director Kerry Pfeil, who was alerted of the change at 2:06 p.m. "I can't give enough credit to Mike Hudak for letting us know right away. Thankfully, I have one of the best assistants in the world in Cecelia Romesberg (to assist with rescheduling).

"We have to thank our spring sports coaches who were flexible. We have a lot of cheerleaders involved in spring sports," Pfeil said. "Communicating with those coaches to be flexible and allow those cheerleaders to go to the game is just awesome. Our radio team, school photographer and yearbook all are a part of this, too."

Both area schools used social media in an effort to spread the news to fans.

The athletic directors called their respective coaches. Players and family members had to be contacted, as well as officials.

"On short notice, it's not easy," Westmont Hilltop Athletic Director Tom Callihan said. "We had to change our buses, alert our fans and change everything. I understand this happens, but for our game now to be 30 minutes further out, it's not easy.

"My bus was scheduled to leave in an hour-and-a-half when we got the call. I'm trying to get all my parents on board with the changes."