West Ham assure unsettled Marko Arnautovic he can leave this summer if suitable offer is made

Jason Burt
The Telegraph
Arnautovic has been the subject of a 40million euro (£36million) bid from a Chinese Super League club - CameraSport
Arnautovic has been the subject of a 40million euro (£36million) bid from a Chinese Super League club - CameraSport

West Ham United have told Marko Arnautovic that he can leave the club in the summer if an acceptable bid for him is made then.

The 29-year-old returned to training on Tuesday after being left out of last Saturday’s 2-0 Premier League defeat away to Bournemouth because he was not deemed in the right state of mind to play by manager Manuel Pellegrini.

Scroll to continue with content
Ad

Arnautovic has been the subject of a 40million euro (£36million) bid from a Chinese Super League club, believed to be Shanghai SIPG, and has been urging West Ham to sell him.

His agent and brother, Danijel, even released a statement stating that Arnautovic wanted to go and the forward appeared to be saying his goodbyes to the fans when he was substituted during the recent win at the London Stadium over Arsenal.

The Austrian international’s determination to go led West Ham to begin considering trying to find a replacement before the January transfer window closes.

Officially the club insisted Arnautovic was not for sale but would probably have let him leave if a comparable striker was signed first for the same money they would receive.

However since then the Chinese offer has been withdrawn leaving Arnautovic unhappy and frustrated.

West Ham have told him he can go at the end of the campaign if he still wants to and they can agree a deal. Pellegrini must try and re-integrate him into his team in the meantime although there are concerns that Arnautovic remains unsettled.

West Ham hope that he eventually changes his mind and Arnautovic, who was the record signing when he arrived from Stoke City in July 2017 for a fee rising to £25million, has three years left on his contract after this season.

West Ham’s top-scorer is now in contention for Saturday’s FA Cup fourth-round tie away to League One AFC Wimbledon.

What to Read Next