VIDEO SHOWS: FILE VIDEO OF WASHINGTON TEAM PLAYERS AND TEAM PLANE. STILL PHOTOS OF TEAM OWNER DAN SNYDER, FEDEX FIELD WHERE TEAM PLAYS ITS HOME NFL GAMES, AND TEAM CLOTHING. FILE FOOTAGE OF PROTESTERS
SHOWS: TWITTER (JULY 13, 2020) (TWITTER - SEE RESTRICTIONS)
1. ANNOUNCEMENT OF TEAM NAME CHANGE ON TWITTER
PORT AU PRINCE, HAITI (FILE - OCTOBER 10, 2016) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL)
2. WASHINGTON REDSKINS TEAM PLANE
3. TEAM LOGO ON PLANE
4. FORMER REDSKINS PLAYERS RICKY JEAN-FRANCOIS AND PIERRE GARCON OUTSIDE PLANE DURING TRIP TO DELIVER MEDICAL SUPPLIES AFTER HURRICANE MATTHEW HIT HAITI
5. PLANE LEAVING
LANDOVER, MARYLAND, UNITED STATES (FILE - SEPTEMBER 12, 2010) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) (STILL PHOTO) (MUTE)
6. STILL PHOTO OF WASHINGTON REDSKINS TEAM OWNER DAN SNYDER AT FEDEX FIELD BEFORE NFL GAME VS DALLAS COWBOYS
LANDOVER, MARYLAND, UNITED STATES (FILE - AUGUST 15, 2019) (USA TODAY SPORTS IMAGES - Broadcaster and Digital: MUST COURTESY 'USA TODAY SPORTS IMAGES') (STILL PHOTO) (MUTE)
7. STILL PHOTO OF SNYDER AT FEDEX FIELD BEFORE NFL PRESEASON GAME AGAINST THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
LANDOVER, MARYLAND, UNITED STATES (FILE - APRIL 28, 2012) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) (STILL PHOTO) (MUTE)
8. REDSKINS FANS WAITING IN LINE OUTSIDE FEDEX FIELD BEFORE THE START OF NFL DRAFT DAY PARTY
LANDOVER, MARYLAND, UNITED STATES (FILE - NOVEMBER 28, 2018) (USA TODAY SPORTS IMAGES - Broadcaster and Digital: MUST COURTESY 'USA TODAY SPORTS IMAGES') (STILL PHOTO) (MUTE)
9. STILL PHOTO FEDEX FIELD SIGN BEHIND FANS DURING NFL GAME BETWEEN REDSKINS AND HOUSTON TEXANS
BAILEY'S CROSSROADS, VIRGINIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - JUNE 24, 2020) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) (STILL PHOTOS) (MUTE)
10. VARIOUS STILL PHOTOS WASHINGTON REDSKINS TEAM GEAR AT A SPORTING GOODS STORE
LANDOVER, MARYLAND, UNITED STATES (DECEMBER 28, 2014)(NBC-NO USE USA AND CNN. FOR BROADCAST CLIENT USE ONLY. NO INTERNET, MOBILE, WIRELESS USE)
11. PROTESTERS GATHERED NEAR FEDEX FIELD STADIUM WHERE WASHINGTON REDSKINS ARE PLAYING THE VISITING DALLAS COWBOYS IN NFL GAME TO PROTEST "REDSKINS" TEAM NAME
12. PROTESTERS HOLDING SIGNS AND CHANTING
13. PROTESTERS HANDING OUT T-SHIRTS AND PAMPHLETS TO FANS AS THEY WALK TOWARDS STADIUM
STORY: The NFL's Washington team said on Monday (July 13) it will abandon its Redskins name and logo, a decision made after sponsors recently stepped up pressure to scrap a name long criticized as racist by Native American rights groups.
"On July 3, we announced the commencement of a thorough review of the team's name," the team said in a statement https://twitter.com/Redskins/status/1282661063943651328.
"Today we are announcing we will be retiring the Redskins name and logo upon completion of this review."
Team owner Dan Snyder had previously said he would not change the name under any circumstances but softened his stance after FedEx Corp, which owns the naming rights to the team's Landover, Maryland, stadium, urged the NFL club to rebrand.
(Production: Andy Ragg)