“We have been in communication with Everson’s medical professionals throughout this process and have relied on his recommendations regarding the appropriate next steps for Everson,” Vikings general manager Rick Spielman said in a statement. “We are excited to welcome Everson back to the Vikings and to see him around teammates, coaches, and staff — people who care deeply about his well-being. Our focus will continue to be on providing an on-going support system for Everson and his family.”
Griffen has been away from the Vikings since Sept. 22, when he was involved in an incident at a downtown Minneapolis hotel when he threatened to shoot someone if he wasn’t allowed back into his room. Griffen was then reportedly evaluated in a Minneapolis-area hospital shortly after.
The 30-year-old apologized last month via Instagram, apologizing to his teammates and “everyone who was impacted” while promising a return to football.
Griffin — who recorded 45 tackles and 13 sacks last season — has played in only two games this season with the Vikings, and has six total tackles and one sack.
“Being around my teammates and coaches is something I have missed for several weeks,” Griffen said in a statement. “While this is an exciting and positive move forward for me, it is only the next step in a longer process. I look forward to once again putting in the work with the guys and contributing to this team in any way I can.
“My larger focus remains on addressing my personal health, and I’m hopeful the time will come when I feel comfortable sharing my story and using my platform to bring awareness to these issues. I continue to be extremely grateful for the constant support from my family, my teammates, the Vikings organization and our tremendous fans.”
More from Yahoo Sports:
• WWE star makes stunning cancer revelation
• Popovich on giant LeBron billboard: ‘Horrifying’
• McGregor opens up about Khabib fight
• Chris Haynes: LeBron taking Lakers growing pains in stride