The Atlanta Hawks point guard spoke on Monday about not being on the bench for the team's game against Denver last week - a move that occurred after a reported altercation with head coach Nate McMillan.
TRAE YOUNG: Situation. I mean, we're all grown men here, and sometimes we don't always agree. And, I mean, it's unfortunate that private situations and private conversations get out to the public, but I guess that's where we live in now. But I'm just focused on basketball. I'm focused on helping my team win, and that's what I got to get to refocus it on.
- But what's public was you not at the game. So why weren't you there?
TRAE YOUNG: Man, it's all you-- It's all you at me, bro.
- I'm curious. I mean, you're the leader of this team, you know?
TRAE YOUNG: Yeah, I mean, it's hard for people who don't know the full situation to understand it. So, I mean, like I said, it's a private matter, again, and it made public, which was unfortunate. And if it was stayed private, it probably wouldn't have been as big of a deal. But, like I said, it's unfortunate. And my job and my goal is to win a championship, and that's all I focused on.
- But you can see the perception though, Trae. You are a leader of this team. And when you're out there to support your guys.
TRAE YOUNG: When you're an outside guy like you are and you don't understand in a private matter in private situation, you should probably stay on the outside. And, like I said, it's unfortunate that everybody has to understand and know a little bit of the details that went on inside. But, I mean, inside here, we're all good. And, I mean, you got any more questions about that, then you can talk to somebody else about it. That's all I got to say about it.
- Again, I respect what you're saying about the private of the locker room the private of the practice core. We're not here. I guess it's just a public thing if you're not going to support your teammates when you're healthy about not going on the bench. So Where's the disconnect there?
TRAE YOUNG: If I was healthy, I would've been playing.
- But, I mean, John was in a boot and he was still at the game.
TRAE YOUNG: Yeah, but you don't know the full story again.
- You don't want to--
TRAE YOUNG: Again. No, I don't want to.
- So that's just-- there's more to it than you being healthy, and--
TRAE YOUNG: A private matter needed to stay private.