Wisconsin WR Quintez Cephus now eligible after being acquitted on sexual assault charges

Yahoo Sports
Wisconsin wide receiver Quintez Cephus (87) is back on the team. (AP Photo/Bradley Leeb)
Wisconsin wide receiver Quintez Cephus (87) is back on the team. (AP Photo/Bradley Leeb)

Update: Aug. 23 - 2:10 p.m. ET

Quintez Cephus has been deemed eligible to return to the field for Wisconsin. Cephus tweeted the news Friday afternoon and the school subsequently confirmed it.

Cephus returned to practice earlier this week, but questions about his eligibility remained stemming from his expulsion from the university. Cephus was reinstated as a student last week after being acquitted of sexual assault charges. Cephus was separately investigated by the school’s Title IX office.

Original story: Aug. 19 - 1 p.m.

Wisconsin wide receiver Quintez Cephus has rejoined the football team.

The school released a statement Monday morning announcing that Cephus had been reinstated to the school. Cephus was expelled after he was accused of sexual assault, but was acquitted in early August.

“UW–Madison obtained information following the criminal proceeding that was not provided to the university during the student conduct process,” the school statement said. “Chancellor Rebecca Blank conducted a review of this information and the petition for Quintez Cephus’ reinstatement as quickly as possible and in a complete and impartial manner.

“As a result of this review, sanctions for Quintez Cephus have been reduced and his expulsion lifted. There were findings of responsibility of the student non-academic misconduct code that were upheld.

“Mr. Cephus has been reinstated as a UW–Madison student, effective immediately.”

Monday afternoon, the football program said Cephus was officially part of the team, though it was “working through eligibility issues before he can participate in a game.”

Cephus was expelled from the school after a Title IX investigation into his conduct. A student can be disciplined in a Title IX proceeding if it’s found that it was more likely than not a violation was committed. Cephus had previously filed a suit against the school regarding the process because it had begun while he was awaiting trial on the criminal charges.

The wide receiver missed the 2018 season after he was suspended regarding the allegations in August. He had 30 catches for 501 yards and six touchdowns in 2017.

– – – – – – –

Nick Bromberg is a writer for Yahoo Sports.

More from Yahoo Sports:

What to Read Next