United Rugby Championship: Ospreys 17-27 Munster - Clinical visitors claim bonus point

United Rugby Championship

Ospreys (5) 17

Tries: Giles, Parry, Cuthbert Con: Williams

Munster (19) 27

Tries: Daly, O'Brien 2, Snyman Cons: Carbery 2 Pen: Carbery

Munster produced a clinical performance in Swansea to maintain their dominance over Ospreys.

The Irish province has only once lost to Ospreys since 2016 and rarely looked like suffering a second after wings Shane Daly and Sean O'Brien both scored in the opening seven minutes.

Man of the match O'Brien added a second interception score before RG Snyman powered over for the bonus.

Keelan Giles, Sam Parry and Alex Cuthbert replied for Ospreys.

Cuthbert scored his first try for more than a year six minutes from time and looked set to grab a second and earn Ospreys two points in the final seconds but pulled up clutching his hamstring yards from the line.

Only four points separated the sides before kick off but Munster moved up to fourth in the United Rugby Championship overnight while Ospreys continue to lose ground.

Having won five in a row to get themselves into play-off contention, Ospreys have now suffered back-to-back defeats and only a second loss at home this season.

Neither side started with their Six Nations stars, though number eight Morgan Morris returned from injury for Ospreys and full-back Mike Haley celebrated his 100th appearance for Munster.

Ospreys' dominated territory and possession in the first half but found themselves trailing 19-5 and with only 14 players at the break.

Prop Nicky Smith started for the first time since announcing in mid-week he is leaving to join Leicester next season and helped dominate the scrum until hobbling off before half-time.

But Munster's defence rarely looked troubled, nullifying the Ospreys line-out, while handling errors proved costly for the hosts.

Booth will have been furious at the ease with which Daly scored the early opening try from a simple series of passes from a lineout.

The Ospreys head coach will have been even more exasperated at the next two tries, both from interceptions.

O'Brien picked off overly ambitious passes by Owen Williams and then Keiran Williams with ease, though the second try followed a series of fortunate bounces, deflections and a wild swipe of the boot by the Ospreys fly-half.

Giles finally replied with his sixth try of the season for Ospreys who then saw Justin Tipuric shown a yellow card as Munster threatened.

Ospreys survived the 10-minute spell without their talisman and got back to within a score when hooker Parry finished an impressive drive by the forwards.

But they could not stop the giant 6ft 7ins (2.06m) frame of Snyman from close range to clinch a bonus point for Munster.

Carbery hit the post with the conversion but added a penalty before Cuthbert finished Jack Walsh's half break, but could not finish a second chance in the final moments.

Ospreys: Iestyn Hopkins; Alex Cuthbert, Evardi Boshoff, Keiran Williams, Keelan Giles; Owen Williams, Reuben Morgan-Williams; Nicky Smith, Sam Parry, Tom Botha, James Ratti, Rhys Davies, Jeandre Rudolph, Justin Tipuric (capt), Morgan Morris.

Replacements: Lewis Lloyd, Garyn Phillips, Rhys Henry, Huw Sutton, Harri Deaves, Cameron Jones, Jack Walsh, Owen Watkin

Sin Bin: Tipuric (39)

Munster: Mike Haley; Seán O'Brien, Antoine Frisch, Rory Scannell, Shane Daly; Joey Carbery, Craig Casey; Josh Wycherley, Niall Scannell, John Ryan, Tom Ahern, RG Snyman, John Hodnett, Alex Kendellen (capt), Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Eoghan Clarke, Jeremy Loughman, Stephen Archer, Jack O'Donoghue, Ruadhán Quinn, Ethan Coughlan, Tony Butler, Shay McCarthy.

Referee: Hollie Davidson (SRU)

Assistant referees: Rhys Jones & Carwyn Williams (WRU)

TMO: Sam Grove-White (SRU)