- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
UFC star Conor McGregor hailed Russian president Vladimir Putin as “one of the greatest leaders of our time” in an Instagram post after attending the 2018 FIFA World Cup Final as his guest Sunday in Moscow.
“Today I was invited to the World Cup final as a guest of Russian President Vladimir Putin,” McGregor wrote. “This man is one of the greatest leaders of our time and I was honored to attend such a landmark event alongside him. Today was an honor for me Mr. Putin. Thank you and congratulations on an amazing World Cup.”
McGregor is celebrating his 30th birthday in Russia, and had already posted a picture at the final game of the 2018 tournament on Twitter earlier Sunday.
Russian Khabib Nurmagomedov, McGregor’s rival, also posted that he was at the game.
McGregor’s characterization of this showing is as good as anyone’s: it is, indeed, a “spectacle.”
More World Cup on Yahoo Sports:
• Here are the top 18 moments of the 2018 World Cup
• World Cup: The best 23 players in Russia
• President Trump congratulates France … and Putin after World Cup final
• England’s Harry Kane wins most unimpressive Golden Boot ever
• France storms to second World Cup title in 4-2 victory over Croatia