UFC, Anthony Rocco Martin part ways after seven years

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Nolan King
·2 min read
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Anthony Rocco Martin is no longer on the UFC roster.

The promotion and the welterweight fighter have parted ways, a team representative informed MMA Junkie on Friday, making Martin a free agent.

Martin (17-6 MMA, 9-6 UFC) fought out the final fight on his promotional contract last June at UFC 250. Recently, the promotion and Martin decided to go in separate directions.

“I am excited for what the future holds,” Martin said in a written statement to MMA Junkie. “I’m ranked 22 on Tapology. I feel like I am entering my prime and can’t wait for a new home. I want to find a place that I can compete to be a world champion and push to be the best in the world.”

Related

Dustin Poirier's UFC 257 fight gear from TKO of Conor McGregor up for auction

Jamahal Hill: UFC not hyping me like they do other up-and-comers

Martin competed 15 times in the UFC. His promotional tenure dates back to early 2014. Since then, Martin faced the likes of Beneil Dariush, Neil Magny, Demian Maia, and more. Notable wins included Sergio Moraes, Ryan Laflare, Ramazan Emeev, and Jake Matthews.

Following a unanimous decision loss to Magny in June, Martin underwent arthroscopic knee surgery in early July to help with a torn meniscus. Over the weeks that followed, Martin developed an infection that landed him back in the hospital.

“I started getting worried, and I was talking to the UFC PI, and I obviously saw the (Washington Football Team quarterback) Alex Smith thing and worried about infections, especially when you’re talking about a knee scope that you think is a minor surgery turning into something like this where I can barely walk,” Martin told MMA Junkie in late July. “They say it’s very rare on a knee scope. The doctor I used here says in 15 years he’s never had someone get an infection on a knee scope.”

Ultimately, Martin recovered from the infection and is on his way to resume his fighting career soon.